Handlebar types.

Scotsrick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve just got my new 1250r which I got in the blue colour.

Stupidly I didn’t realise that also meant including ‘sports’ bars which are a bit too low and forward for my comfort.

If I fit risers that’s only going to take it back to the standard bar position (give or take a few mm).

If I could pick up a set of standard bars I could see how it goes from there but I can’t find the part numbers for the 2 types.

Anyone got a parts fiche that gives them, or even a spare pair kicking about?

Your BM dealer should help, I fitted the Sport bars to my old GS (Narrower and lower), once you have the part number go to eBay loads for sell. I purchased mine for £250 from the dealer. The normal bar one should be the same price.

Cheers, in the end I did get the part number from my dealer.

From them they are just under 200 quid with discount.

I‘ll leave it for a bit unless I can find a set on eBay as I’ve only had a couple of runs out so maybe I’ll settle into it.

Ive got a shopping list already for it and need to prioritise

I’m currently looking at moving into a 1250R from my umpteenth GS so interesting that the blue has different bars. I’m assuming then that the triple black has the std bars? Is there any adjustment (normally 10mm) up and down as per the gs. Also Wunderlich do a up and back riser. Does that fit the R.

Sent from my backyard

Yes as far asI know the triple black has the standard bars.
I bought Voigt up and back risers in the end which gave me a more comfortable position.
They are 30mm higher and 21mm back which is about as big as you get. I needed an extension piece on the clutch line as it was just a tiny bit tight for my liking although the dealer didn’t mention it at the 600 mile service.Another 43 quid that I could have done without spending.

It a different beast to the GS. Lovely at legal speeds and great on a blast with the lads.
However I can’t get over the feeling it’s a bit less stable when winding it on. Overtaking a car the other day it felt a bit like ‘point it in the general direction and hang on’. This I’m putting down to the wind blast disconnecting me from feeling the front end. Maybe it’s just me but that’s how it feels. Mind you I’ve only done 700 miles so it might come to me after a few more.

Next purchase is a slightly bigger screen so we’ll see how that works.

That’s an excellent resume of what the difference may be, It’s definitely a different experience with no screen or fairing to sit behind, as I’ve known from my past speed triples. Another difference between that and the GS of course is the paralever front-end

The RS (essentially a faired "R") feels more stable than the GS at speed, having a slightly longer wheelbase and as you're protected from most of the wind blast, feels comfortable at all speeds and planted. It's why I went for an RS over the R. Still the same sporty ride but with just that bit more comfort and stability at speed. Bar risers were a must though. Any ride of over 40 minutes without them was giving me back and neck ache. The Heli bars have a similar rise and reach as the Voight ones. I'm wondering though if I'd been better off fitting the optional (GS style) bars and using risers which is what I'd have probably done if buying new and could have spec'd them as an option.

I read somewhere about the fact the RS was quite a reach and sporty ride position. After it was mentioned that the blue sport has lower bars I’ve seen it and it’s quite a difference.

Sent from my backyard

Which is why bar risers are really needed unless you have very a long reach on the RS. My mate gets on fine with his as standard. I fitted risers to mine.

It a different beast to the GS. Lovely at legal speeds and great on a blast with the lads.
However I can’t get over the feeling it’s a bit less stable when winding it on. Overtaking a car the other day it felt a bit like ‘point it in the general direction and hang on’. This I’m putting down to the wind blast disconnecting me from feeling the front end.
One reason it may feel a bit less stable is because it's a damned sight quicker than a GS. I reckon my 1200R is quicker than a 1250GS, judging by how I would always pull away from a fellow maniac on his 1250GS on a "nail it hard" straight. The 1200R has got a slightly different bevel box ratio to the 1200GS, though. I can't get my head around whether it makes the R lower geared than the GS or vicki-verki.

The RS (essentially a faired "R") feels more stable than the GS at speed, having a slightly longer wheelbase and as you're protected from most of the wind blast, feels comfortable at all speeds and planted. It's why I went for an RS over the R. Still the same sporty ride but with just that bit more comfort and stability at speed. Bar risers were a must though. Any ride of over 40 minutes without them was giving me back and neck ache. The Heli bars have a similar rise and reach as the Voight ones. I'm wondering though if I'd been better off fitting the optional (GS style) bars and using risers which is what I'd have probably done if buying new and could have spec'd them as an option.
I thought it was a faired R too, but there are some subtle frame geometry differences.

I read somewhere about the fact the RS was quite a reach and sporty ride position. After it was mentioned that the blue sport has lower bars I’ve seen it and it’s quite a difference.

Sent from my backyard
With the standard clip ons as I'm only 5'7" I found exactly that, after about 45 minutes I was getting tingling in my palms but had no such problems on the R. So I've gone for the tubular bar option, I know they're not the same as the stock R bars but hopefully they'll be better than the clip ons (for me anyway). Having stumpy legs too I've gone for the low seat, knowing that if my legs are too cramped as a result I can always fit lower pegs.

Well I got a bigger screen. It’s nearly alleviated all the wind pressure to the chest without any buffering to my helmet. Maybe I just struck lucky with my height.

Okay not to everyone’s taste but it looks better in real life, honest.

It’s made a big difference on main roads and motorways where I can sit at 80-90 without hanging on for grim death. And maybe it’s just me getting used to the bike but there’s no longer the disconnection to the front end that I was complaining about earlier.

I‘m liking this bike more and more.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 14
The R and RS are both bikes that grow on you the more you ride them. I found it wasn't instant appeal on the first ride which I found slightly uninspiring until I'd put the bike through a fair few miles and got to know it. It's taken me almost 1000 miles to get mine where I want it with bars, seats etc, and it just continues to grow on me with the performance, stability, handling and even fuel economy (no matter how I seem to ride it's achieving 55mpg or close to). It's almost (to me) the perfect blend of performance, economy, handling, and practicality, everything I want from a motorcycle. Yes, the R and RS are quicker than the GS. They're lighter for a start and have different gearing, the R/RS having ratios as follows: 2.438 1.714 1.296 1.059 0.943 0.848. This compares with the GS which has slightly higher gearing (GSA has lower 1st gear): 2.277 / 1.583 / 1.259 / 1.033 / 0.903 / 0.803. Acceleration on the R/RS bikes is therefore brisker than the GS being some 7% lower geared making the 1200 R/RS feel more like the 1250GS under acceleration (the latter having 5% more power just about everywhere over the 1200). Top end is immaterial but the frontal area of the GS despite the slightly taller gearing makes for a slightly lower top speed by 3mph or thereabouts (from test reports, not personal experience!).

Well I got a bigger screen. It’s nearly alleviated all the wind pressure to the chest without any buffering to my helmet. Maybe I just struck lucky with my height.

Okay not to everyone’s taste but it looks better in real life, honest.

It’s made a big difference on main roads and motorways where I can sit at 80-90 without hanging on for grim death. And maybe it’s just me getting used to the bike but there’s no longer the disconnection to the front end that I was complaining about earlier.

I‘m liking this bike more and more.
Bestist colour too 👍

Back
Top Bottom