New Zealand Travel Times

Harleyquin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going to be in New Zealand for about 5 weeks next March and am going to take the Zumo to help with the driving. I'd like to be able to estimate realistic driving times between stops and wondered whether anyone has recommendations for average speeds on the different highway types?

Thanks for any help.

p

Going to be in New Zealand for about 5 weeks next March and am going to take the Zumo to help with the driving. I'd like to be able to estimate realistic driving times between stops and wondered whether anyone has recommendations for average speeds on the different highway types?

Thanks for any help.

p
Hi Harleyquin, It is probably not the highway types but the actual daily 'to from' towns that will determine your travel times. If you like give me an idea of your itinarary I can give you some ideas.
North Island on 1200 GS we usually work on avge of 75 - 80 kph, South Island 80 - 90 kph.

p

What mapping do you intend running on your Zumo, routeable or otherwise? FWIW we found NZ paper maps to be excellent, as is road sinage

I have been out here a week in Auckland - riding around for 4 months.
I made the mistake of buying the NZ City Navigator maps - waste of £120
IMO as they only cover the main routes so am also gonna use the open proiject ones also instead of the garmin. When you get here, buy a book called 'New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas' By Peter Mitchell (Hema Maps). It lists 100 of the top rides
with a grin factor rating - it also lists times for the routes and petrol stop off points. well worth buying

ISBN 13: 978-1-877302-32-9

Its roasting out here don't forget yer sun cream! :D

Back
Top Bottom