ADVICE REQUIRED - R1150

b12bandit

ADVICE REQUIRED - R1150

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but I didn't really know where else to post it!

I'm a copper. 22yrs service. Ex-Traffic. Class One cars and bikes.

Currently riding a Yamaha (sorry) FJR1300.

I'm looking to swap to a BMW for several reasons;

1) I've always wanted one but, apart from a very short test ride on an 1100GS, many years ago, have never ridden one

2)My Yamaha is FAST, comfy, reliable BUT I keep asking myself, do I really NEED a 147HP/150MPH motorcycle? I rarely go over 90 (the occasional blast just to keep the oil circulating. On closed roads of course, officer!)

3) I've recently transferred to the Met Police and am trying to get back onto Traffic. First thing I need to do is pass the slow-riding/slalom test round the cones at Hendon. Anyone ever tried it? Jeez it's difficult! Having never done it before I had a go on my FJR and came close but just couldn't get round the last cone. I also managed to fry the clutch on the Yamaha and was stuck in 1st gear until it cooled down! I didn't think wet, multi-plate clutches were supposed to do that?

Met bike instructor assured it could be done, with relative ease, on an R1150R AND an 1150RT. (Not at the same time, obviously!)

I'm able to practice at Hendon 24/7/365. Problem is, I'm now in a bit of a Catch-22.

I don't have a BMW to practice on but the Met cannot lend me one of theirs (insurance - can't do it whilst I'm on-duty). BUT, it's no good practising on the Yamaha because it's a completely different bike AND I've already cooked my clutch.

So, do I bite the bullet and trade-in the Yamaha against a BMW? If so, which one 1150 R/RT/GS? (I've always liked the look of the GS series).

What if I don't like it? Will I miss the smooth power of my Yamaha - even though I don't use it 90% of the time?

Is there anywhere I can beg/steal/borrow a Boxer from? I know dealers give test rides but I need a bike for more than just an hour and hiring one would be way too expensive.

Which dealers would you recommend? - I live in Shefford, Bedfordshire.

Anyone out there fancy a bike swap? even temporarily?

Any help, advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

PETE WOOD
SHEFFORD
BEDS

tangofournil@btinternet.com

Yes you"ll miss the power and the smoothness, you"ll also probably cook the clutch, which is expensive to replace, dealers will ussually let you test ride for at least a few hours and yes they are easy to do tight turns, as the steering lock is great, Gs is not as good a tourer as a Fjr, but it is more fun, Rt is a better tourer, just not as fast as the Fjr, get a test ride and try them, even if you only get a short time, they do take a while to appreciate mind :rob

Back
Top Bottom