2nd Lieutenant Charles Malin Clifton Sorby

Trippy

My Grandmas cousin died on the 8th May 1915 at the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge during the 2nd Battle of Ypres.

In amongst some of my mums stuff when she died was a family bible and inside that was a newspaper cutting from 1915, a story printed in the Sheffield News titled 'HOW LIEUT SORBY DIED' & 'DEEDS OF VALOUR IN THE TRENCHES'.

I don't think anyone has ever visited him since he settled in France all those years ago so Euan and I have decided to pay him a visit (if we can find him) next week. From the CWGC site I don't know if he has a grave or just a mention on a memorial, I think it's a grave.

Anyway I thought I'd start a thread for him and type out the article.

*****​

A striking story of bravery is told of the late Lieutenant C.M.C Sorby of the 3rd Monmouthshires, and son of the Rev A.E Sorby Rector or Darfield. Lieut Sorby was killed in action after being 22 days in the trenches.

Major WS Bridge, commanding officer of 3rd battalion Monmouthshire Regiment pays a warm tribute in teh following letter:-

I am taking the earliest opportunity I have of writing to give the few particulars of your sons death that I can glean from the few men of his company left with me.

He received wounds in the abdomen on the 7th whilst holding a trench in the first line under most terrific shell fire.
I saw him the night before, he having been sent to the headquarters dug-out, and although - poor boy - a bit shaken with the heavy concussion of shell fire - as indeed all up there must have been - he returned gallantly to his company. Although I had not known your son long I knew enough to realise we have lost a most promising officer and brave comrade.

Allow me to offer my deep sympathy in your sad loss.

Sergeant W Davies wrote to Lieut Sorby's parents from hospital in Liverpool on 25th May.

Dear Madam
As one of Lieutenant Sorby's platoon please accept my deepest sympathy on the loss of your son. I am only a Sergeant, but can only say that I lost the best friend in the regiment when I lost my officer. I know that you would like to know that he was the friend off all men of all the men in his platoon who simply worshipped him.

He was always looking for ways to help them in the hard work they had to do, and not above doing anyone's share who was at all done up.

But there is one thing you ought to know which happened the day before he was wounded. I was wounded through the thigh about 6 o'clock in the morning, 6th May, and lay in two feet of mud and water in the trench all day, it was too light for the stretcher bearers to when I got hit so had to wait for darkness.

During every hour of this day Lieutenant Sorby performed deeds of valour for which many would have got the V.C but he would never have thought of that, but kept on doing his duty.

He came to me many times and asked if he could do anything for me at all, and just as it was getting dark (he had been sent for to go to Headquarters Dug-out) he came to say good-bye and made me promise if I got anywhere near Sheffield that I would write to you as you would be so glad to hear of him.

No stretchers came that night for me as they were so busy, so he came back about 5.30 am and was in a fine rage to think one of his platoon had been left over, and asked for four volunteers to carry me out.

He could have had a dozen if he wanted, so he picked out four of the strongest and got us started off. I was on a sheet of roofing with two long poles. We had not got above 30 yards when the Germans opened fire on us, two of the men got shattered arms so had to drop me.

I had just about given up hope, as what with the wound and the shock when dropped, I was too weak to get back to the trench, and lay in the open with bullets dropping all around me, when Lieutenant Sorby dashed out of the trench and not only dragged me back but placed himself between me and the Germans so as to screen me from the fire, and so got me back safe.

I can assure you it was one of the bravest deeds of the war, but he never thought of anything at all but getting me back.

You can guess how near death I was when I tell you whilst I was lying therea bullet ripped my tunic up and lodged in my breast pocket in some papers and books there. One was Lieutenant Sorby's envelope with your name and address, you can see where it stopped in the corner. I can assure you that though he was wounded he kept asking if I was all right and never a thought for himself.

It was a great shock to hear he had died of his wounds, but I know you will be proud to know this and I hope it will help you to bear your loss to know that he died like a galliant soldier and gentleman.

I hope you will accept this letter as a slight token of respect from one of his men with deep sympathy.

I wanted to write something profound but every time it seemed really patronising.

Heroes one and all.

Idid the Somme Battle field tours and also found a relatives (of the wifes family) grave thanks to the war graves commission:thumb

The whole trip was superb, very sad and very humbling.

Should be a good trip for you both, take the time to pop over to the Somme area if you get chance.

hope you enjoy it.

Trippy,

I think he has a gravestone too.........

If you find him in the GWWG site and then on the cemetery link at the bottom of that page, you can then click on a "cemetery plan" button and get a plan of the cemetery up. Click here to go direct to it. It's zoomable. I would have put it here, but it attaches zoomed in and is fairly big. Row "I" appears to be in front of the Indian Memorial. Apologies if you've already done this.

When you get to the cemetery, at the entrance there'll be a book which lists every casualty in the cemetery and where they are located, so you'll definitely be able to find where he's located.

I sincerely hope you DO find he has a grave. That being said, just finding his name on a grave or on a memorial WILL bring a lump to your throat - having found a relative in Tynecot who I never knew it was amazing how emotional I became - especially when after 5 minutes of staring at the gravestone, I noticed he died on my birthday.........:(

Definitely appears to have a grave.

277141466_eb469-M.jpg

277141452_wRRvT-M.jpg

You won't regret the visit and I bet you cannot stop breaking-up!

Other graves ...

I'll be over there with 60 school kids at the end of June. If anyone has a deceased relative in the Ypres Salient or on the Somme, PM me and we can arrange a short visit and a photograph of the grave. Might even manage "The Flower o' the Forest" on the pipes.

Hope you have a good visit, based upon the fact that the cutting was in your family bible, is there a chance that your related, (or have I not read the thread properly) Edit, sorry just read the first line of the threat again.

Well thats a turn up, this afternoon I left a message on the website for the 3rd Monmouthshires and the guy that runs it has just sent me this small photo of Charles Sorby and if I take a photo of his headstone he will put it on their site.

Attachments

• Charles Sorby.jpg
    Charles Sorby.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 850
Modern communications and the internet are amazing really, since writing on the guest book on the site of the 3rd monmouthshires I now have a 2nd photo of him.

Attachments

• Charles.jpg
    Charles.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 935
An extract from a book about the Monmouthshires has also now been sent:-

His trip previously mentioned to Headquarters was reported by the Medical Officer, Lt McLean:

"He came back with a message to Headquarters, missed his way and must have wandered for most of the night. He found my dugout and fell exhausted into my arms…..I guided him to the Colonel and got him some stimulant. He was wonderful; he gave his message, received his reply, and went back. He stood in the doorway saluting his Colonel with a smile on his face. He knew he was going back to worse than hell and yet he smiled. I shall never see him again, but I often see that brave boy's face smiling, and hold it as my highest example"

Well we popped over to Ypres and had a mooch about. Visited The In Flanders Fields, Tyne Cot at Passendale, The Menin Gate for last post and we found Great Uncle Charles on the French / Belgium border. Amazing place.

Ypres08060.jpg

Nice one. Bet you really glad you did it now, and I bet it was a bit emotional too.

Well we popped over to Ypres and had a mooch about. Visited The In Flanders Fields, Tyne Cot at Passendale, The Menin Gate for last post and we found Great Uncle Charles on the French / Belgium border. Amazing place........

Brilliant, well done.
I've done quite a bit of research and visits on all of this as 2 of my grandfather's brothers died in this war.
Neither of them has a grave and they are listed on a couple of the memorials, Menin Gate and Tyne Cot and I've just re-read your last posting and you visited both of them as it happens.
Never found any photographs or press cuttings though but did find a whole lot of information on one of them amongst the "burnt records" at Kew.
They are called burnt records as the records happened to be under a bomb despatched by the Germans in the second war and a lot of the records were burnt and lost but some have been restored and are therefore known as the burnt records.
Hearty congratulations on your success.

Copy of his mdal index card that shows his medals were sent to his dad.

CMC_Sorby.jpg

CMC_Sorby.jpg

Ypres08060-1.jpg

Just looking at this thread again after doing some more reading a realised a couple of photos have gone so thought I'd replace them. Interestingly after reading and looking at maps of the area I had a stab at where I thought they must have been fighting when he died, when I was last there I waypointed my guess in the Garmin and when I got there it turns out there is a small memorial atthe side of the road to the Monmouthshires.

Quite fancy another trip over there sometime as I really like the area.

Also going to pop into Darfield church next time I'm up north as apparently they have a stained glass window in his memory and the original wooden cross from the battle field grave.

CMC_Sorby.jpg

Ypres08060-1.jpg

Just looking at this thread again after doing some more reading a realised a couple of photos have gone so thought I'd replace them. Interestingly after reading and looking at maps of the area I had a stab at where I thought they must have been fighting when he died, when I was last there I waypointed my guess in the Garmin and when I got there it turns out there is a small memorial atthe side of the road to the Monmouthshires.

Quite fancy another trip over there sometime as I really like the area.

Also going to pop into Darfield church next time I'm up north as apparently they have a stained glass window in his memory and the original wooden cross from the battle field grave.

Looks a fine Church

Here he is, in the South Aisle

http://www.darfieldallsaintschurch.org.uk/guide.html

The South Aisle
The ceiling with its painted clouds and sky features, in its bosses, the head of a unicorn from the coat of arms of the Wombwell family. The stained glass windows are memorials to members of the Sorby family. The first shows the Ascension scene in memory of Canon A.E. Sorby. The second . featuring saints, is in memory of his son, Lieutenant Charles Malin Sorby who was killed in action near Ypres in May 1915. The wooden cross from his wartime grave is on the wall nearby. A carved Jacobean oak panel with the arms of the Wombwell family now covers a doorway which was once used by the families living in Middlewoods Hall to reach the "Manor Pew" behind the Choir Stalls. The carved oak panels of the "Manor Pew" show the arms of Thomas Bosville of Great Houghton.

Pic below of the memorial window tribute

This window was erected to the memory of Lieutenant Charles Malin CLifton Sorby who was killed in action near Ypres in May 1915 . It was provided by his sorrowing parents.

Attachments

• window2.jpg
    window2.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 474
  • DSCN0100.jpg
    DSCN0100.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 492
Nice one Jim:thumb Everyone should go over there at least once. I heard on the radio the other that around 20% of us will have had a relative killed in the Great War. Sobering thought........

a.e.sorby

i am a member of freinds of darfield churchyard(FODCY) and we are trying to trace living decents of Charles M.Clifton Sorby his father canon A.E.Sorby who was rector in darfield and is intered here.FODCY is wanting permision to renovate his grave. We know there was relatives down south somewhere but we would like to notify them and ask permision, thank you.

i am a member of freinds of darfield churchyard(FODCY) and we are trying to trace living decents of Charles M.Clifton Sorby his father canon A.E.Sorby who was rector in darfield and is intered here.FODCY is wanting permision to renovate his grave. We know there was relatives down south somewhere but we would like to notify them and ask permision, thank you.

Trippy here (Jim Tripp) is the person you need to spk to

If you let us have a contact number, he will be in touch

Back
Top Bottom