Stupid Question

ExpatinIstanbul

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting my first Satnav....yes I know, I'm somewhat behind the times. I know bugger about these things though, and I'm hoping I might get an answer to a stupid question I have.

Waypoints. I want a unit that I can set up waypoints on, and I've seen on some Garmin spec sheets figures for route waypoints, and a larger waypoint figure (500+). What's the difference?

I'd want something that I can plan a whole trip on, meaning up to 20 route waypoints or so, is this possible? In particular does anyone know which Garmin Nuvi might do this?

First issue:
Since you put this question on UKGSer I assume your application is MC and not only car? Forget Nüvi on a bike. It's not robust enough.

Second issue:
In a car the idea mostly is to reach a goal. On a bike the road itself often is the goal. This means that on a bike you need a GPS that supports upload of preplanned routes. This means preplanning on a PC. It's only Garmin that supports this in a good way.

I suggest that you take a close look at the Garmin Zumo 500 (bike only) or Zumo 550 (bike + car). With this model comes Mapsource, the route and waypoint planning tool for PC.

Route planning directly on the GPS itself? Forget it! It doesn't work.

Waypoints. I want a unit that I can set up waypoints on, and I've seen on some Garmin spec sheets figures for route waypoints, and a larger waypoint figure (500+). What's the difference?
ISTR that the 500 way-point limit is for Favourites rather that routing way-points or POIs. On recent models routing way-points are fairly unlimited in practical terms as are POIs added using POI Loader. Favourites are, IMHO, really for points saved on the unit as you travel or for a destination that isn't already a POI. 500 is plenty for this purpose and if you were plotting a round the World trip you could save any number of Favourites as a GPX file and import as a POI set anyway.

Thanks guys. Since asking this question I decided to plump for a Zumo 550, as at least this way I'll know I'll get everything I need. The only problem now is that to get it through customs here in Turkey looks as though it's going to cost me $400.

Thye waypoint thing still confuses me a little, but I imagine I'll work it out once I've got the unit in my hand.

Thye waypoint thing still confuses me a little, but I imagine I'll work it out once I've got the unit in my hand.

Basically, WAYPOINTS are things that you create by clicking on the screen or on the PC. You give them a name such as "nice view".
POI are pre-loaded things on your mapping like hotels, museums or restaurants.
Of course, the confusion now is that if you're creating a route and click on a POI it then becomes a waypoint or via point in your route.:augie

Back
Top Bottom