lake maggiore

twig

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hi, we are off to the french alps shortly making our way down the route de grand alps to around the briancon area, spending a few days there and then heading towards switzerland via lake maggiore. i can't decide which side of the lake to go, ime leaning towards the west side and stopping around locarno, i was hoping if anyone had been to this area they could give me there thoughts and any recommendations on hotel there
many thanks
:thumb2

yep i visit the area a few times each year - very nice but i stay in lugano a bit further up, i always stay at http://www.hotel-luganodante.com/hotel_lugano/welcome.cfm?lang=eng its not too cheap but very very good and the best breakfast buffet u can ever imagine!

in locarno itself i have stayed at Hotel Alexandra and also Hotel Garni Millennium which is right next to the lake but also next to the road but fairly quiet, for absolute peace get a room at the back but u will miss the fantastic views of the lake.

rent a boat and self drive around the lake for an hour or so ( chf 50 ish) or get the water taxi to one of the restaurants across the otherside of the lake (only way to reach them) locarno and lugano and both very nice and each has its own features - u cant go wrong on the swiss side of the lake ( im not swiss either!)

Hi Twig

I did almost the same trip at the end of June

A group of us (7) stayed at -

http://www.albergobelsoggiorno.it

very nice hotel with fantastic views over Lake Maggiore, it's on the West side approx 3/4 of the way up.

Safe parking for the bike (not under cover though), very biker friendly and fantastic dining area looking out straight over the Lake.

Highly recommend this hotel

Cheers

Doug

I stopped off in Verbania at Lake Maggiore a few weeks ago on my way back from Istanbul & Athens, a lovely part of the world, it was peak holiday season and hadn't booked and most hotels were full, ended up in a nice but expensive 4* hotel on the water front.

thanks chaps for the help, the west side it is then.
the hotel in lugano looks stunning, but maybe a touch too pricey for us, made it a waypoint though
the hotel dwj suggested looks excellent, i think we will give that one a go.
again thanks for the help
:clap:clap:clap

Back
Top Bottom