M1 Toll Plaza

Dibbles

Reaction score
I was travelling home from Dublin on thursday evening last on the M1 on the bike. I have an easy pass tag so was using the dedicated lane. There was a queue of traffic into it and I was behind a van. As I reached the booth, travelling at about 50 kph or maybe a bit more, the barrier came down between me and the van. I was to the left side of the lane and was able to avoid it, it literally came down 2 feet in front of the front wheel and as far as I remember it passed under the right handle bar. I had no time to react or swerve. I don't know if it went up again or not.
I rang them about it and was told that there are sensors in the road surface and that they may not have been sensitive enough to pick up the bike. I was also told that a technician was going to improve the sensitivity. He told me that the barrier coming down was to slow down the traffic using the dedicated lane. He told me to be careful when using the plaza in future and to keep left in the lane. Oh and the barrier is made of metal!!!
Has anybody else had a near miss?
This is just a word of warning when using the toll plaza's. Don't take for granted that what look's clear is clear.:rob

Dibbles.

be good practice for you if you want to learn limbo dancing :angel

all joking aside glad your ok, don't have that problem anymore now the M50 is toll/barrier free :bounce1

Has anybody else had a near miss?
Nope.
I had a direct 'hit' :mad:

Similar scenario on the M50 with the 'old' system (ah, those were the days :rolleyes:) Barrier whacked me on the shoulder & lid and then promptly broke :eek: Which was probably just as well or I'd surely have been off the bike.

Toll barriers

MAG the motorcycle action group here in ireland were looking for anyone that had an accident or near miss at toll booths to let them know so they can make a case for motorcycles going free on safety grounds. When I sent them my story some time ago, it was the only evidence they had. LET THEM KNOW.
by the way, most of the barriers I've seen are hinged, so if you hit them they will swing away. You just have to be going fast enough to get out of the way before they swing back.:eek:

Jockser,
Poor show complainin' about barriers hitting you when you never paid a shillin'..
Nor did I btw,
Bin

Back
Top Bottom