Are these problems linked?

parrot

Reaction score
Twice yesterday on the motorway the instrument panel light went out on my 800 GS, then came back on. When stopped, and ever since it comes on with the ignition, but immediately fades, goes out, and stays out.
Later that same day the low fuel light came on (no onboard computer fuel gauge) and 5 miles later I ran out of petrol.
I know that the low warning light has previously worked as I ran for nearly 50 miles on the continent with it on before I could find a petrol station (lack of local knowledge, I wouldn't normally do that, honest).
Have seen the previous theads about faulty gauges, but the light should be foolproof, no?
Are these problems linked? or coincidence?
Whatever it will not put me off the best bike I think I've owned. (i'll just fill up more often).

When the instrument lights went on / out, were you going from dark to brighter areas ie from a tunnel out into open sky and not night time?

If so, it's normal, it's designed to do that.

Fuel lights and their use has been mentioned before, how old is your bike and has it been to a dealers recently?

Not at night, or in tunnels, but in what passed for daylight yesterday.
Bike an 08, almost due for 6,000 servive, last saw a dealer last week for a recall.
Thanks for prompt reply

Tried covering over the ambient light sensor to see if the instrument lights turn on? Assuming you're outside and it's bright. or what passes for "bright".

In twilight or the nominal light that we have on these winter days I've found sensor to turn the backlight on and off. I've seen the same with the street lights recently. They were off... a rain cloud came over and they came on... the rain passed and off they went again.

As for the fuel guage just don't count on it. Use the trip. I fill up every 150 miles now to be safe. :aidan

Back
Top Bottom