Istanbul

sani

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I am off to Turkey,,Istanbul'' on the 25th April -3th May via Chanel Tunnel early hours Shuttle to get the most of the journey but I dont know whats the best route to take so I just want to know if is any one Interested for a long ride in short time but still having a good time .
I have same good friends in Istanbul based in the centre of the city where we can park the bikes and probably get a good hotel or free accomodation.

hi sani, not sure if I should be replying to you based on previous threads! ;), but there are a few of us GSer;s in Istanbul. You can make the trip in 2 long days if you want (Calais-Ancona in day 1, Ancona-Igoumenitsa overnight, Igoumenitsa-Istanbul day 2 or you can take a multitude of diversions or even overland it through Bulgaria and make the trip as long as you like. The Greek option is by far the easiest because you don't have to worry about visas/insurance etc.

When you say your friends are in the center of the city, where do you mean? the old city (i.e. sultanahmet) or taksim, or even the asian side? Its such a big city, its difficult to pinpoint a single centre! :) If you need any input from "locals", feel free to ask!

L

hi sani, not sure if I should be replying to you based on previous threads! ;), but there are a few of us GSer;s in Istanbul. You can make the trip in 2 long days if you want (Calais-Ancona in day 1, Ancona-Igoumenitsa overnight, Igoumenitsa-Istanbul day 2 or you can take a multitude of diversions or even overland it through Bulgaria and make the trip as long as you like. The Greek option is by far the easiest because you don't have to worry about visas/insurance etc.

When you say your friends are in the center of the city, where do you mean? the old city (i.e. sultanahmet) or taksim, or even the asian side? Its such a big city, its difficult to pinpoint a single centre! :) If you need any input from "locals", feel free to ask!

L

Hi L I am sorry to here that you are disappointed with my threads but we all have different opinion and point of view but I haven't done any harm to any one it was only a big miss understanding specially when English is not my first language. Istanbul is like my second home to me I have been working 6 Years at the new Metro Underground and I absolutely love the city and the people specially the music,my friends are in Sisli not to far from Taksim this it will be my first come back to Istanbul for 10 years ,I hope is still the same.

Thanks very much for the route advice is exactly what I thought is going to be,
L are you from Istanbul?

sani

sorry for not getting back before now.

Don't get me wrong about the threads. I'm totally impartial... was just picking up on the entertaining threads I've seen!! :)

So just get the timeline right... you've been working on the Metro for 6 years but haven't been here for 10... When people talk about working on the "metro" nowadays, they are generally involved in the Marmaray project (the tunnel under the bosphorous).

If you've not been here for 10 years, I think you will be shocked to see how much it has changed... I'm married to a Turk and live in Istanbul now (but come back to the UK once a month). We've been coming to Istanbul for 10 years, so can assure you... its changed! Lots more shopping centres and "westernisation" unfortunately!

sani

Don't get me wrong about the threads. I'm totally impartial... was just picking up on the entertaining threads I've seen!! :)

So just get the timeline right... you've been working on the Metro for 6 years but haven't been here for 10... When people talk about working on the "metro" nowadays, they are generally involved in the Marmaray project (the tunnel under the bosphorous).

If you've not been here for 10 years, I think you will be shocked to see how much it has changed... I'm married to a Turk and live in Istanbul now (but come back to the UK once a month). We've been coming to Istanbul for 10 years, so can assure you... its changed! Lots more shopping centres and "westernisation" unfortunately!

sani

Hi L

Thanks for replying ,I have bin checking this tread all most every day but not even one propusition I should have thought way:)
Any way going back to your question time-line right Well back to when I was 14 years old and left Romania after the collapse of the communism I went to Turkey where I lived and work for 7 years ,Now I am 32 I am British citizen and I live in London but Istanbul is still a special place to be and Live
Thats right L I was working at the Marmara Metro Project that links East wit West I was one of the first foreign person to go dip under and no one new that a part from my Turkish friends and my Boss which it was like my family to me. Unfortunately time came to me to change my life and live turkey for good without to see the inauguration of the grand project.

If Istanbul has changed I hope is changed for good and it still the place where I can grab a good barging:D
I will definitely cam to Istanbul next year and I hope that I will get the chance to have a drink with you and probably you can show me a round until I get familiar with the place again :beerjug:

no probs. not sure about the bargains anymore.... you have to hunt a lot harder for them. Its not as cheap as many people think either. In fact, some things can be London prices (a beer in a popular place will cost 10YTL + (2.4YTL to the pound).

Keep in touch and let me know how your plans go

L

no probs. not sure about the bargains anymore.... you have to hunt a lot harder for them. Its not as cheap as many people think either. In fact, some things can be London prices (a beer in a popular place will cost 10YTL + (2.4YTL to the pound).

Keep in touch and let me know how your plans go

L

Ok L
I will let you know how it develops all the plans to my Little trip:)
Give my love to the glorious City of the World and have a your self a,, Very Merry little Christmas and a Happy New Year'':thumb

Back
Top Bottom