D-Day Anniversary

Johnny Boy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is anybody planning a visit to France this year for the D-Day annivesary ?.

It's something I have fancied doing for a few years but never got round to doing anything about it, it then usually gets to June & I see some pictures in the media and realise it's another year I have missed.

Anybody got any suggestions on where to visit?. Do you think all the accomodation will have been booked up ages ago, although I'm assuming I might be OK away from the main centres of activity ?

Cheers

John

I've organised a long weekend in Normandy for a group of us (24) over the May Day weekend. This is not specifically for the anniversary but we will be visiting all of the famous locations such as Pointe Du Hoc, Pegasus Bridge, the beaches, Arromanches and of course the cemeteries. Not done it before but apparently everything is well signposted and you can see most places of interest by following coast road down the peninsular.

No idea of the accommodation situation but I would suggest that you start looking now if you want a hotel or b&b. If you want to camp you should be ok, there is a good campsite at Falaise I believe in the shadow of William the Conqueror's castle. :thumb

We are staying in a biker friendly chateau just 10 miles south of Cherbourg, we got a deal for £32 pppn for half board but I did make the initial booking about 4-5 months ago and we have filled the place.:cool:

BMW Club are doing one, about 40 booked in so far, book your own ferry, and book directly with campsite, choice of accomadation, chalets / camping, no additional rally fees, public site all welcome.

duration 3/6/09-10/6/09, but book any number of days you wish

The East Anglia section are holding a Rally in Normandy over the weekend celebrating the 65th anniversary of the D Day landing, the location looks to be "Camp Du Nacre" at Sur Aubin Sur mere, right in the centre of things,
This will be a landmark anniversary for D Day and expections are that the celebrations will be impressive.
The Campsite has a mix of Chalets and camping and has all the facilities you would expect on a 4**** site

http://www.camping-cote-de-nacre.com/en/pitches_normandy.htm

Organiser ;
Mark Handley,
PM me on here

D-DAY 65th

Hi Easyrider

Going over for the 65th, not on a GS on me K12R. Looking forward to it.

Not sure if we are camping at that site but will be in the area.

Regards
Paddy

There's a good municipal camp site in Arromanches . and its cheap too.

I WILL ALSO BE OVER THERE WITH A GROUP FROM WORK, UNFORTUNATLEY NOT ON THE BIKE, DOH, CAMPSITES ARE GETTING FULL, MANAGED TO BOOK ONTO A SITE AT MERVILLE, NEAR THE MERVILLE BATTERY WHICH IS ABOUT 10 MINUTES FROM PEGASUS BRIDGE, HAVE BEEN FOR THERE FOR THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY AND 60TH AND BOTH HAVE BEEN SUPERB, BEING AN EX PARA MYSELF, I TEND TO ENJOY THE AREAS AROUND PEGASUS BRIDGE FOR OBVIOUS REASONS BUT THERE ARE GREAT CELEBRATIONS IF THATS THE RIGHT WORD ALL ALONG THE COAST.
WELL WORTH THE VISIT, YOU MIGHT NOT GET TO SEE AS MUCH DURING THESE CELEBRATIONS DUE TO ROAD CLOSURES ETC BUT IN MY OPINION IT IS THE BEST TIME TO GO AS YOU CAN SPEAK TO LOADS OF VETERANS AND GET THEIR THOUGHTS, THIS MAY BE THE LAST BIG ONE AS THE VETS ARNT GETTING ANY YOUNGER

HOPE THAT HELPS:thumb2

FERRET

Hi Johnny boy ave a go camping, its cheap and the camp sites are clean and friendly.
and well kept.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom