Krakow or Wroclaw ?

Johnny Boy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We were thinking of two nights in either Krakow or Wroclaw to give us a day in one of these two cities in July on our way to LT/LV/EST. I was thinking of choosing Wroclaw because Krakow could be done a later date using the budget airlines. What do you guy's reckon, which city would you visit ?

Cheers

John

We were thinking of two nights in either Krakow or Wroclaw to give us a day in one of these two cities in July on our way to LT/LV/EST. I was thinking of choosing Wroclaw because Krakow could be done a later date using the budget airlines. What do you guy's reckon, which city would you visit ?

Cheers

John

Krakow is only a short distance from Auschwitz... if you're so inclined somewhere to say you've been....

Stayed in the centre of Krakow at the Hotel Royal IRRC... ;)

We are heading over to Poland late summer and I was discussing this very question with a Polish guy at work and he says without doubt Krackow which is the old capital. He says you could spend a wek there and not see it all so that is where I plan to go:thumb2

I was in Wroclaw 3 years ago.. nicity but roads all dug up. they were building a new metro so I would imagine they are still at it..
I believe Krakow is a nicer place to go. btw the polish drivers are in a league of their own. crazy to say the least..

Going to poland next month staying at the qubus hotel 2or3 kms out of krakow 2 nights with breakfast,parking,pool,jacuzzi,blah blah 230 euros for a twin for the two nights,a friend who goes with a polish bird said when he was over the salt mines just outside krakow are worth a visit.

Stayed in Krakow last summer. You can check it out on the blog if you want. Stayed on a bike friendly campsite with free wi-fi and a supermarket across the road. 15 mins by bus to the city centre which is fantastic.

Definitely Krakow. The Wieliczka Salt Mine near Krakow is a world-class attraction listed as the UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Krakow

Defenetly Krakow!!!

The city itself is a lot better than Wroclaw and there is much more to see in close range
Oswiecim (Auschwitz) and Wieliczka (the salt mine) are the places to see.

I think nearly everyone knows what you can see in Auschwitz, so few words about Wieliczka, you will see ::

- the highest underground chamber - around 60m high
- the only underground Church - the size of a kathedral, and everything inside made of salt, i think they still do weddings there
- the biggest underground room, big enough for two tennis courts
- and some tens of miles of corridors
so it is a good place to go :thumb2

The Kings Castle in the city is also worth seeing if you dont want to leave the city

good luck

pete

Stayed at the Qubus last month jolly nice it was too sitting in the Jacuzzi looking out over the snow covered city, food in the hotel was good (it was snowing heavily so staying seemed a good option for one night) about 20 mins walk to the main square. As per the threads above salt mine and the Wawel are definetly worth visiting as is Austwich. They run tours from the hotel to Salt mine and Austwich which are a good idea and reasonably priced. We went with our guide boook advice and took the local bus to Austwich and it stopped at every lamppost on the way back over 2 1/2 hrs to get to the bus station. I am thinking of going back in summer it was that good :bounce1

I lived in Krakow and got pissed for weekend in Wroclaw.(not balanced i know) Krakow has more going for it i reakon. there's a 130 bar just around the Renek (town sqaure) alone! I lived there for 3 months and went out more nights than night and never got through all the bars! Not that i remember anyway... by-product of drinking straight "wodka" with the locals:comfort

Never been to Wroclaw, but can recommend Krakow. A stunning city - you won't be disappointed. :thumb2

My only regret is that I didn't spend more time there. :(

I live in Kraków and I can also tell that Wrocław is also nice city specially when they finish renovation of road in the city.Wrocław is bigger , in Kraków all is near, you can get almost everywhere by foot.

Regards Marek

Stayed in Krakow last summer. You can check it out on the blog if you want. Stayed on a bike friendly campsite with free wi-fi and a supermarket across the road. 15 mins by bus to the city centre which is fantastic.

I'm doing Poland with some mates in May and have booked cabins at Camping Clepardia, so it's good to read that you liked the place.

Tim

Out of both cities i would say Krakow. But if you really want to see Poland go into the Tatra mountains.

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the recommendations - have now booked a couple of nights in Krakow , on the way to Lithuania , Estonia & Latvia.

Cheers

John

Thanks for the recommendations - have now booked a couple of nights in Krakow , on the way to Lithuania , Estonia & Latvia.

Cheers

John

Places to see in Krakow

Main square and churches - they are stunning.
St Catherine's - beautiful gothic
St Francis Basillica
St Mary's Basillica
Castle - Wawel Hill - and the dragon (a must see)
Nowa Huta - typical Russian steel works / town that was built very near Kralow
Salt mines - just south
Shindlers factory - in Jewish sector south accross the river (if you need directions I can tell you).
Auschwitz

Just thought id add to this - for me its wroclaw every time krakow is nice and interesting, but wroclaw's not full of people who just got off a budget flight and has some really interesting sights like the hundred year hall and the Olympic stadium from Hitler's Olympics.

Krakov?

Krakov is stunning.
Do not miss.
Go also the the salt mines nearby. Breathtaking.
Go to Austwich/Birkenau. They are nearby & only 3km apart.
Do not go on a guided tour of Birkenau. Go yourself, park bike & allow 3 hours mimimum to walk round.
Guides take you round Austwich. Go with them, & after they drop you off, go back again round the blocks.
Myke

Back
Top Bottom