is there a prob wi sprockets on these

D6

Reaction score
is there a prob wi spacers on drz front sprockets?, just wondering as there seems to be a lot sayin they replace them on other forums

is there a prob wi spacers on drz front sprockets?, just wondering as there seems to be a lot sayin they replace them on other forums

Something to do woth the original mild steel ones rusting, then failing or summat.:nenau
Everybody replaces 'em with a stanless steel one. Its considered a 'must do ' mod.

Yeap, wot he said.

Also when you are doing it, bung some Loctite on the sprocket splines as the free play causes the gear bush to wear, and we all hate a slack bush.

Loads of info on thumpertalk about it.

J.

its going to degenerate now isnt it?
Afraid so, that will happen as you get older. However my email inbox seems to full of offers from kind people offering solutions...

Hope you get it fixed and that it hasn't damaged the bike. Thumpertalk is your friend for DRZ related questions. You also want to take the gear lever off and file it down as a matter of priority. After that get yourslef some case savers to glue to the cases and another one to replace the daft plastic sprocket cover.

iv done the casings, what this about the gear lever?

iv done the casings, what this about the gear lever?

If you have doen the cases it's not so important, but the casting for the gear lever has a very sharp, pointy edge on the back that is perfectly placed to go right through the left hand case. Five minutes with a file sorts it out.

Also if you get rid of the crap plastic spocket cover and put an alloy one on (about 20 quid) you will then have a fighting chance of keeping the crud out of the c/s sprocket seal and spacer. And it looks much better too.

Last edited:
bbcase.jpg

aha!, i will comence work on this tom night, many thanks

sprockets off, shaft is still hard to turn, , its the second gear bushing, iv found out (thanks oonyack:thumb2)
looks like a stripdown , more pics for the drz stripdown section:blast.
apparently its a common problem according to thumpertalk, :nenau

yes i fitted a stainless one when mine was PDI'd

the OEM one is shocking

If you have doen the cases it's not so important, but the casting for the gear lever has a very sharp, pointy edge on the back that is perfectly placed to go right through the left hand case. Five minutes with a file sorts it out.

Also if you get rid of the crap plastic spocket cover and put an alloy one on (about 20 quid) you will then have a fighting chance of keeping the crud out of the c/s sprocket seal and spacer. And it looks much better too.

i've fitted the same one too jon and filed smooth the "can opener" edge on the gear lever , i have already fitted the case guards although one has come adrift

:)

you can get a spacer and seal kit for the output shaft off ebay.

heres a pic of my sprocket cover I made up for my old DRZ when I sm'd it

drslheng.jpg

and one of the LH case saver I knocked up

drzrheng.jpg

and the finished bike-well almost

drzlhveiw.jpg

those are ace, you wanna start selling them, id buy a sprocket cover

Just done this modification to my bike, spacer just starting to show signs of corrosion. My drz is a 53 plate with 1700 miles on the clock so anybody with anything older should be looking at doing the same job. I got the bits from Midwest racing which they got from Leisure Trail for less than thirty quid better than total oil loss and a long walk! I had some pics but 122kb bit cr-p!

Back
Top Bottom