Best Jap Cruiser???

Twotter

Reaction score
I can't afford a HD so what's the best none HD cruiser, 1000cc+, up to £5k?

New or s/hand?

I would have a look at Victory, - although new would be more than £5k even for the 8-ball. IMO better bikes.

Honda VTX1300, altho' you would be doing well to get one for £5k, Yamaha Dragstar v popular and more of them around so cheaper.:thumb

honda vtx 1800 pulls like a steam train and handles well.although a tad heavy around town.

FFS don't do it - one day you will park up beside an H-D - then you'll know why
Please PLease PLease don't do it-

I have ridden around 90% of all the Jap cruisers, usually before they get triked :)

Best IMHO are
Honda Valkyrie :bow:bow
Best of the lot

Yammy Royal star, like a HD but rideable :augie

Suzuki intruder Volusia I personally prefer the 800 to the bigger ones

Yammy Drag star 1100 bullet proof :thumb2

Some good ideas there gents so thank you. I quite like the boat thingy too but it's probably a bit too big for the Great Ouse :D

Anyway, looking around I like the looks of the Kwak VN1500, particularly the Mean Streak (odd name) and also the Yam XVS1100, though I've read that they can be quite vibey???

No chance of buying a HD so I'll have to avoid parking next to one ;)

Some good ideas there gents so thank you. I quite like the boat thingy too but it's probably a bit too big for the Great Ouse :D

Anyway, looking around I like the looks of the Kwak VN1500, particularly the Mean Streak (odd name) and also the Yam XVS1100, though I've read that they can be quite vibey???

No chance of buying a HD so I'll have to avoid parking next to one ;)

It just has to be the VN1500 Nomad, big following in the USA.

Have a look around the Harley dealers websites,in particular St Leger,Leeds H-D and Just Harleys.......they're all part of the same group. Or have a word with Steve or Mark at Leeds. I'm certain they could find you a brand new Sportster 883 for sub 5K or a low miles 1200 for maybe less.
Accept no imitations. Japanese Harley look-alikes might be good but they're not the real deal........just my opinion of course,I've had five Harleys but never a Jap version. And, if you decide to sell,you won't lose much on a H-D.

Does it have to be Japanese? Moto Guzzi Californias of various ages have bags of character, provide a laid-back ride, go round corners and at least some must be within the price range.

Pros: Proper cruiser, footboards and all. Not trying to imitate anything else.

Cons: Not Harley style (if that matters). Not going sometimes (ditto).

Accept no imitations. Japanese Harley look-alikes might be good but they're not the real deal........

That says it all, really :augie

If you were discussing big traillies, it'd be akin to saying "Don't bother with a KTM Adventure - it's not the real deal" :rolleyes:

Al :)

I test rode a VN1500 Mean Streak today and really liked it. Surprisingly comfy for my painful coccyx and the riding position felt good too. A small windscreen allowed 'spirited' riding :augie, but otherwise it handled well, went well and sounded well too. Loads of character and a good laugh to ride as well.

Only issue is the budget has taken a bit of a nose dive so waiting to hear back from the dealer to see if he is up for a demon deal.

Que, sera, sera.

Now I see there's an Yam 1100 in a dealer over Norwich way....:cool:

I can't afford a HD so what's the best none HD cruiser, 1000cc+, up to £5k?

Not a Jap cruiser but a nicely made bike at a sensible price! You can get a really nice one for under 5k. Triumph Bonneville America

szvpy9.jpg

I visited the Triumph dealership at Eye near P`boro at the weekend. There were 4 or 5 of these outside. I like Triumphs as a rule (I have a Daytona) but these look SH1TE in my opinion, as if half the engine area is plastic (is it?).
The new 1800cc? twin cruiser which looks like a smaller rocket was there and looked v nice indeed.

Back
Top Bottom