Removing rear tyre...

WindyChuffer

Reaction score
Been changing my tyres from Metzeler Sahara's to Pirelli MT21's tonight.

Front was done like a dream.

But I'm fecked if I could get the rear Sahara off. Put it this way, couldn't even get one side off so there's no feckin way I could fix a puncture with that tyre with my 8.5" tyre irons (http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-98-beadbrakr.aspx).

What's the crack with the rear Sahara?

Whats the rear MT21 like to get on and off?

(So off roading with the Sahara rear and MT21 front tomorrow)

You need practice, that's all.
Though, the Sahara3 has a tough side wall, far tougher than the MT21 as far as bead-breaking is concerned.
Once the bike is fitted with a more off-road orientated tyre, the frequency of tyre change against mileage travelled increases, so the likelyhoodof the tyre getting dryer/tighter on the rim reduces, so become easier to remove/replace.
But once again, practice is the name of the game.

Timpo.

Thx for that Timpo. Have done a fair few tyre changes on the 1200GS, but never on tubed wheels before. I had the bead broken all right (much easier with tubed tyres), but the tyre levers were bending and just couldn't get the initial bead over the rim.

Reckon you are right about the off road tyres being easier, changed more regularly etc.

So will trundle off to a tyre shop tomorrow to get the fecker off, then will try to fit the MT21 myself.

either make sure the tyres pushed well into the 'valley' opposite your tyre levers or....eat more shredded wheat

Got back after an off road ride and attacked the tyre. Sorted. I guess the answer was to do it when the tyre was warm (and having had some shreddies for breakfast of course). Wasn't easy mind.

Back
Top Bottom