Do I need a Chip ?

Animal

I've got an Adventure, and have fitted a Remus Y-Piece and (Highly Illegal) Innovation Silencer.

The bike runs just fine, so do I need to fork out the extra for a Chip, and if so, any particular make.

No you don't . . . the engine management system adjusts the petrol/air mix to take into account the missing cat. But, you might find that the bike runs a bit too rich and/or possibly hot (two common complaints/niggles). Whilst the engine management system will adjust for air flow, it won't alter the basic way your bike is set up to make its power (and to get through noise and exhaust emissions tests). You'll only be able to alter these by re-chipping.
If you want to add a chip later, you can. The BBchip from Motorworks costs about £245 and is worth every penny. The BBchip is also very useful in that it has different settings, for example for using low octane fuel in third world countries (north and west of Cambridgeshire). The difference you've noticed by replacing the cat, you'll notice again by adding the chip. It evens out the torque and power curves and makes the engine far more tractable from 3,000 revs. The bike will feel very very responsive straight off a light throttle. Wheelies, sir? No problem.

step away from the chip

i am running remus y piece,pipe and bb powerchip.

With the lamda still in.

Itmakes 86bhp

However it runs lean.

I have ordered a TFI from dynospeedin essex, thay are fitting it next week. This will remap the fuel. The TFI gives full control.

K&N's make ****k all difference. It'sofficial.

Re: step away from the chip

bandit said:
K&N's make ****k all difference. It'sofficial.

I found that out a while back.

I did, however, do a Back-to-Back Standard vs K&N vs ITG filter test on a ZX6R... and had the ITG fitted as it's 2bhp better than the other two.

Resisted a K&N filter for a long time because I was skeptical . . . rode my GS with Y, race can & chip for 2,500 miles, but no K&N. Had an opportunity to borrow and try out a K&N. Tried it. Replaced with standard. Swapped and tried the K&N again. Bought one.

It's not what it measures, it's what it feels like (ooh er missus). It is clearly and percetibly differnt riding the bike with K&N fitted. The K&N makes a difference on my bike . . . official.

To be specific . . . it has made the bike feel slightly lighter and more responsive on the throttle and with more urge from lower down the rev range (3,000 revs upwards, rather than closer to 4,000 without), but it probably hasn't affected max BHP, like you say.

civilisation?

Simon, re third world countries, shouldn't that have read south and east of Cambridge?;)
Tim

Re: civilisation?

timolgra said:
Simon, re third world countries, shouldn't that have read south and east of Cambridge?;)
Tim

Of course it should, but I didn't want to appear unnecessarily prejudiced and as I live west of Cambridgeshire I thought I'd include my own domain within my sad attempt at self-deprecating humour to lessen any offense caused.

:D :D :D

Third World Fuel..

GS'ers (pronounced geezers?)

I'm about to ride my '03 Adventure with Remus can and Y-piece into deepest Africa. When I bought the the bike back in May the brochure contained blurb about an optional chip for coping with poor quality fuel.

I have since spoken to to 2 BMW dealers who have been somewhat vague but generally insisted that it is not necessary with the lastest standard mapping. Anyone know better?

Also, I don't know if it is still available but assume that leaded fuel will be not be a problem without the cat..?

Animal, to be certain that your bike is running OK get it Dyno'd, but you will need to make sure that the Dyno you use can measure the fuelling rather than just power/torque as some do.

I have had a Y piece, Remus race can, "S" intake tubes, K&N & Superchip fitted since I bought the bike 2yrs ago and was concerned that it may be running lean. I got Dynojet UK to check it and found that it was running just about right - slightly rich if anything. Consequently, I'm now much happier and found it £30 well spent. If you check the website (click here) and check the nearest red dot as it will be a Powercommander centre with the kit needed to check fuelling.

PS: The TFI can only add fuel, not take it away & so doesn't give total control. It's fine if running lean is the problem but that may not be the case across the entire rev range. Mine is slightly lean at the top & bottom of the range and rich in between :rolleyes:

HTH,

Hmmm..

I'm sure that answered someone's question Paul, but not mine...

Re: Hmmm..

RickX said:
I'm sure that answered someone's question Paul, but not mine...

Sorry, Rick. I was just trying to answer Animal's original question (it was his thread) & explain that you need to know first of all whether the bike is fuelling OK. If it is, just get on & ride it. If it isn't, do something to correct it. Does that help? :)

Re: Third World Fuel..

RickX said:

I'm about to ride my '03 Adventure with Remus can and Y-piece into deepest Africa. When I bought the the bike back in May the brochure contained blurb about an optional chip for coping with poor quality fuel.

I have since spoken to to 2 BMW dealers who have been somewhat vague but generally insisted that it is not necessary with the lastest standard mapping. Anyone know better?

Also, I don't know if it is still available but assume that leaded fuel will be not be a problem without the cat..?

Not really Paul (...Animal's post was over a year ago) :(

Re: Third World Fuel..

RickX said:

The BBP chip has the following stages available:
Bb-power tuning chips: (all R1150, R1100S and K1200RS models) These have the versatility to be used with different exhaust combinations. Bb-power tuning chips has five to eight different stages, depending on the model.

Stage 1: To be used with stock muffler (with cat).
Stage 2: To be used with sport collector (no cat) and stock muffler.
Stage 3: To be used with straight through full systems.
Stage 4: Stage 2-3,optimised for low octane situations.
Stage 5: Stage 1-2-3,optimised for extreme low octane situations.
Stage 6: To be used with Performance Cams.
These are easily changed w/ a provided jumper used in the CCP socket in the fuse box.
http://home.t-online.de/home/bbpower/bmwe.htm
This would give you a lot of versatility. I have one, but have never needed to use the low octane setting.

Back
Top Bottom