New Workshop in Hampshire

Liphook Motors

Reaction score
Hi

May I introduce myself. My name is Steve Marshall and my new company Liphook Motorcycle Servicing (LMS)

Hopefully some of you will remember me from SPC BWM at Farringdon where I ran the workshop and worked on BMWs for approximately 7 years. It would be really good to hear from familiar and new faces and of course be of service.

I have a newly refurbished fully equipped 10000 square foot premises with state of the art diagnostics and workshop equipment for BMW and all other makes of motorcycles. I can offer on site MOT testing, tyre changing/balancing facilities, repairs and light engineering.

I can offer hospitality in the form of indoor parking for bikes where you can dismount and remount in the dry/warm.

Hot beverages and a widescreen TV are available in the luxurious waiting area, as is free wi-fi.

My facilities will remind you of expensive main dealers but my prices certainly will not!

I can offer the same facilities, including MOTs, for all makes of cars and Class 7 vehicles.

My workshop is adjacent to Liphook Main Line Train Station, close to the A3 and we can offer a local delivery/collection service.

My phone number is 01428 727700, mobile 07575 914557

I look forward to welcoming you to my new venture.

Steve

PS Message for Richard Ireland – as you can see I’m back in business, it would be good to hear from you and get to work on your bikes again.

I have a newly refurbished fully equipped 10000 square foot premises with state of the art diagnostics and workshop equipment for BMW and all other makes of motorcycles. I can offer on site MOT testing, tyre changing/balancing facilities, repairs and light engineering.

I can offer hospitality in the form of indoor parking for bikes where you can dismount and remount in the dry/warm.

Hot beverages and a widescreen TV are available in the luxurious waiting area, as is free wi-fi.

Sounds just like going to Steptoe's gaff :)

Sounds just like going to Steptoe's gaff :)

Thanks for that!

Here are a few photos to give you an idea.

199f0k.jpg

Reception

jhzvuu.jpg

Waiting Area...Simon ready to take your call

2wrduuh.jpg

The other side of the waiting area, showing the "bean to cup" coffee machine

mjlky9.jpg

The bike workshop....note the Optimate connected

259fy3s.jpg

As you can see, I get some interesting stuff in.

30kdifd.jpg

Diagnostic kit

4tubki.jpg

The staff busy at work

2udxp34.jpg

Tyre changing and wheel balancing area

14wu7fm.jpg

Main view of the workshop. MOT bay on left.

Hourly rate?

Or list the price of a few standard 1150GS jobs, 36,000 mile service as an instance? it would give us an idea of value for money.

Eliminator

Thanks for the query.

My rate is £45 an hour. I use genuine parts and recommended lubricants. Our service schedules and work practices are carried out to the highest standards following manufacturers' guidelines to the letter.

As a guideline, I ask £215 plus VAT for a standard 6k service inclusive of lubes and parts.

Many thanks

Steve

PS we have the best coffee in the South!

6000 mile service!!

More than a main dealer then!!! Unless an 1150 costs more to service than a 1200. Main dealer 210 inc vat. A 12k service plus 1st annual inc of brake fluid change etc 300 at a main dealer inc of vat and parts.

Frankh

Thanks for the feedback.

All I can say is that I have researched local dealer rates and I know I am competitive. Saying that, I don't want to get into a price war but if anyone can produce a written quote for any work I will guarantee to match or better it. One thing I will not do is compromise on the quality of the work I do.

Further, I'm certain that customers will find my services and facilities to easily be a match for those at a main dealer. Your bike will never be left outside in the rain for example.

Steve

Service Prices

Don't get me wrong, I generally trust a smaller independent to do a better job, and have used a good one myself in the past. Don't expect to be a lot cheaper than a main dealer, but to quote you :-

"My facilities will remind you of expensive main dealers but my prices certainly will not!"

your 6000 mile is more than 3 main dealers in the area, and I have a receipt from last August for 210 inc from coopers tunbridge wells, for a 6k service, so your price is too high.

Fair enough, the two main dealers nearest to me charge more than that.

I can't expect to compete with dealers so far away that it would be uneconomical for the customer to travel.

Welcome to the forum and good luck Steve.

If it wasn't for the fact that I live within easy walking distance of Coombs - SORRY!, VINES of Guildford, I'd probably be paying you a visit.

As for your pricing, so what if it's the same or even a few quid dearer than a main dealer! As long as the work is done to a high standard and with attention to detail, I'd be prepared to pay the going rate. Like they say, pay peanuts - get monkeys!

Hope lots of local Tossers support you!

Might bring my Land-Rover down for it's Class 7 MOT!

Cheers

Thanks S Y

It's true what you say about peanuts and monkeys, but I'd never insinuate anything like that about another garage.....

Would be good to welcome you for your MOT.

Steve

Just had my 1150GS back from Steve at Liphook. I had major problems which left it unrideable - Steve came out with his trailer, picked up the bike - replaced a number of parts as well as completing the service (which was due). He also spotted a number of possible problems that may rear their heads in the future and dealt with them.

He kept in contact throughout the time it was with him - giving me options on prices for genuine (OEM) or aftermarket items so I could choose.

I was and still am very pleased with the professionalism and quality of the work - The final bill was more than I was originally hoping for (but then the bike needed some expensive parts).

Hope you do well Steve - I can't fault your set-up at all.

Had....

my bike serviced at Liphook Motors today and would like to say a big thanks to Steve for the excellent service and the very nice price....:D:D

ME TO
Also had my bike serviced by Steve. Nice garage, excellent crew, top notch work, GOOD price. Bike now running better then when I bought it.
Coffee as good as stated, just a shame I did not drink more. :augie

Good luck with the venture, and I may be trying your services out. However, I think I'm correct in thinking that servicing by a non-franchised main dealer inside the warranty period will invalidate the warranty, as motorcycles weren't included in the block exemption that allowed cars to be services outside the dealer network and retain warranty benefits as long as genuine parts are used.

But I stand to be corrected.

Berin

Here is a link which I hope clarifies this. A petition was made to the EU some time ago, and this is the reply which confirms that motorcycles WERE included in the block exemption.

block exemption

We have today spoken to a BMW main dealer who said that servicing by an independent will not invalidate their warranty, provided that original parts are used. His only concern was that if the bike is subsequently sold on, it may be difficult for the buyer to obtain an extended warranty if the service book does not have full BMW stamped history.

Steve.

Super and a real pleasure

Just had an annual service done on the GSA this morning at Liphook Motors and am pleased as punch :D. What a cracking, super professional set up - modern and very fully equipped workshop which was buzzing and crackling with activity. Wow, what a tight ship this lot is.

Steve and all of the crew are charming and the great South African owner - Peter - has a mind-blowing collection of classic bikes including a really bizarre Wankel engined Yamaha..........:eek:..........and a trio of sixes with triple exhausts each side - when he revved one up it was the music of angels.

The waiting area is fully-equipped with a super flat-screen televison, free wi-fi, a good coffee machine and endless magazines including a superyacht glossy which made me spill my coffee when I read twh costs involved. If you worry about fuel consumption on your GS being crappy when it drops below 50 mpg, how about 500 gallons per hour - yikes.

Anyhow, the upshot was a very reasonable and super competitive price for a quickly performed service (arrived at 0930 and left by 11:30). I even was given a 'present' when I left but you will have to book your bike in if you want to know what it was and what you would get :beerjug:.

Back
Top Bottom