Now I'm confused.

alanp

So I looked up comments on the Zumo 660 on the web and some were so critical for biker use it seems I should stay away from it. Then there's the BMW Navigator 4, which I would logically go for, but numerous BMW riders don't use it but use Zumo 550/660. Confused? Yes.
Let's put it this way - I want a SatNav to use in Spain with maybe 10 different journeys in Spain pre planned at home on Google Maps. I don't have a BMW helmet but would want to hear directions from the Sat Nav. I don't mind having cable connection to my helmet. Music and phone connections are not my priority.
Does anyone have the patience to advise me please?

Really Alan, you need to look very closely at what the critics complain about. For me personally, the niggles will not affect me in the use I will put the Satnav to.
I have a friend who is extremely pleased with his newly-acquired 660. When the time comes I will updating with another Garmin.
Nobody would buy a BMW bike if they took to heart every complaint found on the internet.

Buy what you fancy and learn to live with it's "faults".

You can read reviews 'til you're inside out.

:beerjug:

Does anyone have the patience to advise me please?

Yup

Then there's the BMW Navigator 4, which I would logically go for, but numerous BMW riders don't use it but use Zumo 550/660. Confused? Yes.

Don't bother with the Nav IV, it's just a 660 sold at a premium price.

Plus a vanilla 660 will be easier to sell on at upgrade time.

I want a SatNav to use in Spain with maybe 10 different journeys in Spain pre planned at home on Google Maps.

The 660 will work fine anywhere from the north of Finland to the bottom of Spain and all the places in between. It is a very good piece of kit. Buy with confidence.

The 660 comes with it's own mapping all built in, which you load onto your PC, too. It's called Mapsource and it's idiot proof to use and load up.

You cannot map direct from Google Maps to the 660 but you can convert routes, using third party software, like TYRE. I have never bothered.

I don't have a BMW helmet but would want to hear directions from the Sat Nav.

It's not compulsary to buy a BuMW helmet. I do not have one and my 660 works fine.

but would want to hear directions from the Sat Nav. I don't mind having cable connection to my helmet.

You have a choice.

(1) You can connect the 660 directly to in-ear monitors. The monitor's lead will need to end in a 3.5mm stereo jack plug, which you plug sriaght into the Zumo's sound out female socket.

OR

(2) You can run it via an Autocom / Starteck / similar comm's device (leads again)

OR

(3) You can BlueTooth it (no leads)

I have both (1) and (2) installed on my bike, so I can chose to use it via the Autocom or simply run it direct.

I use the Autocom route if I have a pillion or I want to use my bike-to-bike radio.

. Music and phone connections are not my priority.

The 660 will handle both. I do not bother with either.

Back
Top Bottom