Around the Black Sea and back

smaytum

Reaction score
Hi

I've ridden Morocco on and off for the last two years. Next year i'm planning to ride around the Black Sea and then back to the UK. No idea why the Black Sea other than it sounds like a good thing to do?

Has anyone done this? An suggestions on routes? How do you work around the Georgia / Russia board? How long should i plan (from and back to the UK)? Offroad / on road tyres (i like off road riding)?

General thoughts / views welcome?

Rgrds,
Steve

I did as far as the Black Sea, but not around. Excellent trip!

Russian / Georgian border is apparently only open to commercial traffic, which will mean a ferry between Sochi and Trabzon, or something similar.

Russian / Georgian border is apparently only open to commercial traffic, which will mean a ferry between Sochi and Trabzon, or something similar.

This is useful. Reseached the Trabzon ferry and this will solve the Georgia / Russia problem.

The ferry takes 12 hours and crosses twice a day. Cost for a car it £400 (so I guess £200 for a bike), and it's 90% full of Russian women. :eek: that's what I found out so far.

we did it may 2010. everything amazing, except poti (georgia) - novorossiysk (russia) ferry. it took us 4 days in total to cross 400 km. there is no timetable, you just wait in the port, then on ferry and then 11 hours for customs clearance in russia. so what ever you do, do not take a ferry to novorossiysk :) land border kazbegi/vladikavkaz is open only for CIS citizens. anything specific you want to know drop me a line

Thanks... you must have written the same on another website/thread because i have your experience already in my notes :)

I have research the Sochi and Trabzon crossing which looks a lot better.

The question is... do i even visit Georgia? That is, is the distance from Trabzon to Georgia and back worth the journey?

The question is... do i even visit Georgia? That is, is the distance from Trabzon to Georgia and back worth the journey?

I would say definately yes, I loved Georgia.
Just over the border from Turkey head east into the Caucasus Mountains on a rough track/road....it's wild:thumb

Just been studying Georgia a little. Not got that far yet in my planning, but from what I can see, It looks a great place to visit. Why does google maps show no roads? By the way, I am a great fan of off road riding - I could spend ever spare hour riding off road.

Back
Top Bottom