A little trip to the Black Forest...

The next morning, after a good night's sleep the plan was for a loop of about 150 miles out to the South-West. First stop was at the top of Kandel mountain, where they have a lovely lodge for coffee and cake and some excellent views. Plus some wonderful roads to get up and down the mountain.

IMG_4958.jpeg

IMG_4961.jpeg

That done, we headed off towards Frieburg to do the run up to the Schauinsland cable car station. This was the first covered gondola cable car in the world when it opened in 1930 and the views are just great. As (unsurprisingly) are the roads up and down. Lots of lovely twisty hairpins and beautiful mountain scenery.

IMG_4965.jpeg

IMG_4969.jpeg

There's a nice restaurant at the top of the cable car, so Flammenkuchen was had for lunch with alcohol free Weiss beer.

IMG_4973.jpeg

So that was some mountains in the morning, then it was off to some lakes for the afternoon. First up, down to the dam at Schlussee for a lovely ride along the lake and a coffee.

IMG_4978.jpeg

Followed by a longer stop in Titisee, where Ron and Lucy went for a swim

IMG_5005.jpeg

Then back to the hotel in Villingen-Schwenningen for a shower, cocktails and then off to a local microbrewery and restaurant for dinner.

IMG_5021.jpeg

Excellent beer and proper German food. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy Germany?

IMG_5019.jpeg

The next day, I had planned a ride out to the East to Konstanz. Some great roads out there.....but then we had Jim. Jim doesn't really pay attention in the twisties. Don't be like Jim. Jim rode his bike into the Armco on a lovely road. Basically a failure to steer the vehicle. Jim has his IAM test, but still doesn't seem to pay attention, which is not smart on a motorcycle on some of Germany's finest roads.

Jim was alright. And his bike was alright too as the crashbars did exactly what they were meant to do. But it could have been nasty.

We picked him and the bike up, dusted them both off, stopped for a coffee and got him all straightened out. Then we carried on to Konstanz.

IMG_5032.jpeg

IMG_5040.jpeg
After a nice lunch on the waterfront at the 16th Century Konzil, we got the ferry across to Meersburg. It's always nice to go on a little boat trip!

IMG_5042.jpeg

I had originally planned to have a wander around Meersburg, but the Jim incident had made us short for time, so we cracked on to Tutlingen and had a brief stop at the HD dealer there to get Jim's bike checked over.

I had originally planned to have a wander around Meersburg, but the Jim incident had made us short for time, so we cracked on to Tutlingen and had a brief stop at the HD dealer there to get Jim's bike checked over.IMG_5053.jpeg

Back to the hotel for the customary pre-dinner beers and then a short walk to a nice restaurant. I had "Sour Liver", which sounds awful, but was absolutely lovely and is something I am going to teach myself to cook very soon.

IMG_5067.jpeg

Another excellent day - despite Jim.

I do like a good bike trip and that looks like fun. Poor Jim.

Two trips, two crashes. There is a message in there somewhere :D

Grub looks respectable.

Two trips, two crashes. There is a message in there somewhere :D
There is indeed. It is that my trips may not be suitable for all levels of rider. Which is a shame as I do try to be inclusive.

That said, Jim got on with it and made all the rest of the corners during the week. But there is another Jim story coming up in the next instalment....

:) Sorry - was in Snowdonia on the bike last week and heading off to Germany again tonight. This week's trip is to visit the three dams that the RAF attacked during Operation Chastise and to lay some wreaths on some of the airmen's graves. First stop is tomorrow morning at Guy Gibson's grave.

So I am a bit backlogged when it comes to completing trip reports!

Back
Top Bottom