F650GS Dakar, iphone and ...... which headset and how to wire in?

boos boy

Hi, I've got a 2005 Dakar and need a satnav. From reading for many hours and originally wanting a tomtom rider urban, I think I'm going to go for a garmin zumo 660, hope its worth the price. The mappig is what sold it to me, but I'm hearing reports its not as smooth as a Tom Tom :help

So, I've not ordered any yet but is the 660 the general choice a present?

I will need to be able to take emergency calls on mt iphone.

Then, I need to choose a headset. Originally I thought £30 would do it, now I'm up to a Scarla G4 at £175!!!!!! I like the idea of the FM radio when on a long road or stopped but heard its not too good? But, I also like the idea that you can charge it on the bike with a USB lead, sounds useful. But, is this the headset of choice or are there others. £175 is about the max I'd want to pay. I see system such as autocoms mentioned but have no idea. Ideally I'd like MP3, talk to others if I ever need too and radio if its possible. Any other options for me?

The other question is the fitting. Does the mount fit on the Dakar anywhere? I did see somewhere a mount to fit it on the crossbar of the handbar so its in front of you, but can't remember where I saw this?

Then and finally, wiring it in? If I get one in time, my bike is getting a service and new tyres on Tuesday and the shop said they could wire it in for me, although I'm not sure they have done many. So, whats the options? My bike does have a 12v adaptor fitted from new, one of those small ones, but I would prefer to have something more permanent and save the 12v for somethingelse if needed.

Thank you for your help, its a lot of money so need to get it as close to right or have the options and advice to make a choice, even if its the wrong one!!!

Thank you.

Had a play tonight, seems a bit clunky but read that anyway. I find I have to tap the screen quite hard and then press hard to drag the map. Also, even though I've calibrated it it seems a bit hit and miss on the buttons sometimes. Is this normal?

As for display, I think I prefer tomtom. I miss having speed, distance to destination and time of arrival. Is there anyway of having all three on at the same time, or do I just need to press one to bring up the compass screen?

The actual navigation seems a bit clunky again, not as good looking as tomtom, but zoom in and out works well. I have found the rotate map button a bit pointless as I seem to have very little control over how far it rotates, trying to rotate 360 and back north is almost impossible!! Is this normal or am I doing it wrong?

I think that's about it, a few niggles and would be good to hear what others think.

I have mapsource which seems great fun, just need to read the tips section and then download and try some.

Overall I like it, lots of options and I sat for around an hour just playing around with options and making routes on the 660, good fun.

Map Detail

if you go into the settings menu you can set the display to have more or less detail - its not the map which is affected but you then have the option of displaying more of the info tabs (speed, time to arrival etc) - download the manual form the Garmin website, it has lots of detail and hidden settings.

Thanks, just found that, much
more info on the screen which I like. I'll get the manual too. Thanx.

Oh no, scarla g4 and zumo 660.

I have a horrible crackle and it also loses voice directions through the g4. Only high volume off the bike using Bluetooth, but really bad on the bike :(

Any ideas, off on a trip on soon :(

Back
Top Bottom