How to steal, use and improve ideas

Wapping

Reaction score
I was flicking through the online pages of the latest edition of the German Tourenfahrer magazine 4/2024, when I saw this article:

In essence it’s three bods’ holiday from Germany down into the middle and south coast of France.

<iframe src="
" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

As they start in Germany and ride down to Basel, you can probably strike that bit out.

IMG_5194.jpeg

It’s the loop after that which might become interesting. Let’s start with the loop that goes from Bourg-en-Bresse, around to Gap.

IMG_5195.jpeg

By using MyRoute’s ability to put a layer of Michelin maps on top of a route, you can see that there is a mass of what should be great roads inside this area:

IMG_5197.jpeg

Zoom in a bit further and they all appear.

IMG_5196.jpeg

It wouldn’t take much effort to create an alternative, cutting out the western descent of the article’s motorway run through Issoire, in favour of a scenic run maybe through Courpiere in the north east of the screenshot down to Ambert or down to Saint German l’Herm in the centre. From there down to maybe La Chaise-Dieu in the south east corner.

Likewise, in the south east corner, you could miss out their jaunt through Monaco (“It’s shite mate, I read it here”) and cut up to Briancon instead, picking out some good roads of your choice:

IMG_5199.jpeg

There are plenty of choices inside that shortened loop:

IMG_5200.jpeg

I am using nothing but an iPad. It would be no harder using a half decent paper map or two. They cost just a couple of quid and may well last a lifetime. Your iPad probably won’t last anything like as long.

The people in the article, went the ways they did, because that was where they wanted to go. The full article (I only see the highlights and don’t speak German anyway) might well explain why. But, as with the forum’s answers to, “Tell me and my mate great routes to XYZ” you don’t have to just copy what someone else did. In short: Look at the suggestions and use a little imagination to suit what YOU want to do. Shorten their route up a bit, perhaps. Cut the corners, maybe. The choices are yours. But, what the article did do, was hopefully to give you the idea of a loop from Basel, westwards, then curving east before heading back up again. They did the hard bit, now just fill in the easy bits.

Last edited:
Very nice that via the link, the narrative auto-translates into English, for an interesting read.

(And there I was, initially thinking that you've got German tucked under your belt! :ROFLMAO: )

It does translate well and it’s a half interesting story, indeed.

I don’t speak German but, a map is a map, is a map. It cost me a bit over a pound to download the route from Tourenfahrer. I could have used the website’s very good free map but having them create it for me for a quid was quicker. Not least I could then drop the file into Google My Maps and, more importantly, into MyRoute to exploit its ability to display the route in Michelin maps very quickly. I think I could the create a pretty good holiday in under 20 minutes; probably less if I fired up my big screened Mac.

I can confirm there are some pretty good roads around here 👍

Indeed there are and, two minutes in a map confirms it :beerjug:

The maybe interesting thing is that a decent map, whether it’s in paper form or electronic, all but tells you where to go. It is then only a matter of having the confidence to try doing it. Get the ideas from anywhere you like, UKGSer does not have a monopoly on good ideas or indeed routes. Try bicycle websites. Try car (especially classic or sports car) websites. They all like to pedal and / or drive the same roads as us. Their hotels will be just as friendly and most of their cars worth a lot more than our motorbikes.

Last edited:
Generally for my European trips i use the MRA library for he region i am in, and then adapt as necessary for my start/finish points or other locations to visit.

For what i have used so far it has always gone well!I usually try to make mine public afterwards so passing on other options to others too.

Generally for my European trips i use the MRA library for he region i am in, and then adapt as necessary for my start/finish points or other locations to visit.

For what i have used so far it has always gone well!I usually try to make mine public afterwards so passing on other options to others too.

The MyRoute library is indeed good, as are the routes put up by MyRoute’s ‘Route experts’ who do put a lot of effort into creating very good route suggestions.

Again, there is nothing wrong with borrowing or stealing ideas from anywhere. It’s partly why I share articles here, always careful to link or reference the source of them back to the original.

Similar as to what I've done for our forthcoming trip to Mosel region. MRA Library has plenty of interesting and well curated routes, with places (shown) to stop at for a view, snack, lunch etc.
Admittedly, I have had a handful of suggestions from Wapping and others on these pages, which I took and adapted to suit my timeframe, and more importantly, with comfort in mind for my pillion.

Back
Top Bottom