Ride 2 Arrive

beanwood

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,
I was lucky enough to attend Avon +Somerset Police HQ in Portishead last weekend for the last Ride 2 Arrive of the year - and possibly the last EVER :nenau:confused:

The concept was basically a weekend with the police - drinking beer, talking bikes, riding bikes, passing on tips - what a great bunch of guys they turned out to be :beerjug:

Friday night, and first thing Saturday were the lecture part - basics on 'the system' that police riders follow. Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning were putting it into practice under the protective eye of a Police rider - it's surprising how riding next to a liveried police bike helps ease the public attitude towards us.

200+ miles over the weekend were a bit of an eye opener for me in many ways. I thought we'd be pootling around at the national speed limit - which of course we strictly observed :toungincheek I now corner faster than I ever have before, and to say I was surprised by the attitude to overtaking is an understatement

All in all a cracking weekend, and for just over £100 for the weekend - including food and accommodation, it was an absolute bargain, which I would recommend to anyone.
If you fancy doing it, please contact Avon and Somerset soon, as they are talking about stopping the courses. (Spending cuts)

The officers involved genuinely believe it makes better riders (And I'd have to agree) but also introduces the police motorcyclists as being human, and looking out for our safety as well as policing.

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/operations_and_initiatives/ride_to_arrive/index.aspx

Back
Top Bottom