BMW Rallye 3 sizing mystery

oldrascal

Reaction score
This is not yet a review because I haven't had the chance to use my new Rallye 3 suit in anger - it has just been dry ridden around the house. But I have a few observations to make neverthless.

As a general point, the Rallye 3 seems to be even better made and more substantial than it's predecessors - a true piece of quality tailoring. I bought the grey/blue variation which I think looks just bloody cracking :thumb2 although it almost certainly needs the sun and desert backdrop to set it off.

However, I have a real problem with the sizing on the trousers. My standard fit with BMW (and Rukka) gear is an EU58 jacket and EU56 trousers. I have a 46in chest (48" expanded) and a 40inch waist (always expanded :augie). BMW's own sizing chart gives EU56 as 40in-42in waist and EU58 as 42"-44" waist so the smaller size gives me room to relax normally.

When the parcel arrived from the dealer, I eagerly took out the kit and tried on the jacket. Perhaps it was a teeny weensy bit more snug than the Rallye 2 Pro jacket but then it has got the most enormous back armour, much more significant than the RP2. However, when I tried to put on the trousers, a problem became very quickly evident - they were much too tight. In fact, I could barely do up the waist and the fit around the arse and hips was super snug to say the least :eek.

As I had recently been using my EU56 Rallye 2 Pro trousers and they fitted brilliantly as usual, I knew that it was not as a result of too many pies and :beer:. So out came the tape measure and, sure enough, the new pants measured just a tad over 40 inches around the waist with everything loosened off to the max. There is no way on Earth that these were going to fit me and that was a problem. So only two solutions, either these were a pair of EU54 trousers (38in-40in) which had been mislabelled or the design has been changed more than cosmetically.

I telephoned the supplying dealer, explained and asked for them to measure other EU58 trousers - and they were all the same as mine :blast. I sent them back and got a pair of EU58 in exchange which fit just perfectly. There is a salutary tale here - if you are after a pair of Rallye 3 trousers, try them on first at a dealer, you might be surprised.

You may find that you need to move the knee armour down by adjusting the Velcro as well, otherwise it tends to sit a bit too high when you're on the bike.

I've just had exactly the same problem with the same suit.

Both my Street Guard suit and my Shell Comfort suit are both Size 58 for both the jacket and the trousers. When I came to buy the Rallye 3 suit I've had to get a 58 in the jacket and a 60 in the trousers as I couldn't get them to fit my thighs.

I really like the suit though, it's started to bed in quite nicely and the red bands on the arms are losing their day-glow look now :thumb2

Hrmm...I have a 58 R2 jacket now and to be honest it's a tad loose, so much so that I can grab a good handful of the jacket at the front. (34" waist....)

The RP3 has some features that I like so I tried both the 58 and 56 on and found the 56 a better fit.

I think the jacket is a tad snugger in this new model. I wear Santiago pants with these jackets...

I could understand if the fit of the trousers altered through a design or specification change. This could well explain the decrease in thigh room (which I also noticed) as the knee armour seems quite different to that in the Rallye 2 Pro. But that said, how can BMW claim a waist size on the Rallye 3 EU56 trousers of 40in-42in when the trousers max out at 40 inches and a smidge around the waist :confused:.

Do any peeps have mates in the BMW system to find out what the feck is going on.....:rob

Back
Top Bottom