Fork seals

Spitfire

Reaction score
Got home today and one of the seals is leaking, cleaned it out with a feeler gauge for now and it seems OK but I would like to change them soon.

Has anyone sourced them before? I would imagine the BMW ones would be pricey.

Google does not throw up much......so far :augie

Got home today and one of the seals is leaking, cleaned it out with a feeler gauge for now and it seems OK but I would like to change them soon.

Has anyone sourced them before? I would imagine the BMW ones would be pricey.

Google does not throw up much......so far :augie

I spotted a leak last week asked the same question on ADVRider and got no reply. As genuine Marzocchi Shiver 45mm seals are £7.50 each from Marzocchi direct I took the plunge and ordered one to see if it fits.

I've not had time to dismantle the fork yet, but will be during the week, so will update you then.

I spotted a leak last week asked the same question on ADVRider and got no reply. As genuine Marzocchi Shiver 45mm seals are £7.50 each from Marzocchi direct I took the plunge and ordered one to see if it fits.

I've not had time to dismantle the fork yet, but will be during the week, so will update you then.

Ahh....I knew they were 45mm Marzocchi items but I didnt know which model, I will order some direct now

Many thanks

Ahh....I knew they were 45mm Marzocchi items but I didnt know which model, I will order some direct now

Many thanks

I'm not 100% that they ares Shivers, but i can't see Marzocchi making a custom seal for BMW so for a few quid it was worth a punt. I'll know for certain in a day or two when I get the fork in bits.

Hi

I emailed Marzocchi UK, here is the reply below....is that the p/n you ordered?

================================================

This fork uses the 45mm seal kit part number 850675, ssp £29.95 – unfortunately the web page is down so I cant link to it for you.

Regards

Hi

I emailed Marzocchi UK, here is the reply below....is that the p/n you ordered?

================================================

This fork uses the 45mm seal kit part number 850675, ssp £29.95 – unfortunately the web page is down so I cant link to it for you.

Regards

That kit contains two seals and two dust seals, and is their standard 45mm Shiver seal kit, so I guess I've got the right seals :thumb2 !

I must admit that having discovered the leak on a Sunday I was too impatient to get in touch so just ordered a seal without checking first :augie

They also do a bushing kit which is also about £30 for a complete set of 4 bushings.

I'll let you know how the seal change goes!

That kit contains two seals and two dust seals, and is their standard 45mm Shiver seal kit, so I guess I've got the right seals :thumb2 !

I must admit that having discovered the leak on a Sunday I was too impatient to get in touch so just ordered a seal without checking first :augie

They also do a bushing kit which is also about £30 for a complete set of 4 bushings.

I'll let you know how the seal change goes!

Where did you order the seals (without the dust seals)?

Where did you order the seals (without the dust seals)?

The now non-functioning Marzocchi online store at marzocchi.co.uk! I can't find the email with the part number but they were definitely there!

Edited to add: oil seal part number is 528197, dust seal part number is 533266.

This link takes you to their list of part numbers.

Last edited:
Have you done seals before? If not I have a few tips.....

Are you going to do any tweaking or just change the seals and add new oil? Just out of interest......

Have you done seals before? If not I have a few tips.....

Are you going to do any tweaking or just change the seals and add new oil? Just out of interest......

I've not done seals on USD forks before so any tips woud be greatly appreciated:thumb2. I do have the right size oil seal driver so that should make things easier.

I'm not planning to mod anything but I did change the springs a while back to those more suited to my, ahem, manly figure. Mine has the black forks which BMW recommend Ohlins no 4 fork oil for, which seems to be refined from pure unobtanium so when I did the oil last time I used some 5wt which seemed to perform well. I'll see what state the bushings are in and if they're showing signs of wear replace them as well.

This is what I did on my EXC WP forks......should be similar

Remove wheel and caliper.

Loosen top bolts on triple clamps.

Turn down rebound damping to min, noting clicks.

Loosen large top nut around rebound adjuster, dont undo.

Loosen lower bolts in clamps.

Note position of fork, mark up with tape, remove fork.

Turn upside down, turn compression adjuster to min, noting clicks.

Loosen base valve nut around compression adjuster, you might need to push down on the fork to get it to go.

Get a measuing jug, turn fork upright and pump oil into jug, measure what you have and note for later. If you have time hang up fork and leave to drain.

Undo top nut, remove spring and top valve plus damper rod.

Remove outer dust seal.

Remove inner seal retaining clip.

Push the inner fork in and pull apart quickly this should pop the seal out.

Note the position of all the spacers.

Remove metal c clip on the top and remove spacers and seal.

Put on new seal (new dust seal first if you have one)

Slide on oil seal using a greased up plastic bag over the fork end this prevents the top ridge of the fork damaging the seal.

Remove the bag.

Add washers and retaining clips.

Pop inner leg and seal into outer leg. Drive in with seal driver. Try to fit retaining clip, realise the seals are not in enough and then use the seal driver again. :)

Fit retaining clip.

Add dust seal.

Screw on lower valve.

Fit spring, upper valve and damper.

Hold up outer leg and then fill with the correct amount of oil.

Screw on top. Fit in clamp, tighten lower clamps and then tighen the top nut with the correct torque.

Tighen upper clamps

Adjust compression and rebound

Repeat for other fork.

Sit back and have a drink :beer:

Its also shown here.... http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16751

But they do the fork oil the hard way :toungincheek

Many thanks for that - what was going to be a midweek job has now turned into a weekend job, so I'll let you know how it goes!

Spitfire, with the greatest respect, your procedure sounds fine but for the measuring of the old oil capacity.....
If the legs have been leaking, no reference can be used from the old oil.
Oil weight and capacity is either as recommended by the manufacturuer or that of a suspension tuner should that be different for oem.

Another thing that the OP may need to consider, the fitting of new slider bushings as during the knocking out of the old seal, the bearing medium of the bushes can be damaged.

I have never fitted old bushes myself, but some folk may do......:nenau

Timpo.

Spitfire, with the greatest respect, your procedure sounds fine but for the measuring of the old oil capacity.....
If the legs have been leaking, no reference can be used from the old oil.
Oil weight and capacity is either as recommended by the manufacturuer or that of a suspension tuner should that be different for oem.

Another thing that the OP may need to consider, the fitting of new slider bushings as during the knocking out of the old seal, the bearing medium of the bushes can be damaged.

I have never fitted old bushes myself, but some folk may do......:nenau

Timpo.

Timpo, you present a valid point sir! I was working on the assumption that one of my (and Andys) fork seals were OK, therefore I was measuring the oil from the good fork. :thumb

Obviously if both are blown then you need to faf around with measuring.

So far Ive never had both go and always change both seals as soon as one pops. I've always checked the bushes and they have been fine.

All the best

Seal changed with no drama, bits from Marzocchi are identical to the OE bits (I also got a new dust seal) and probably a lot cheaper. Bushings looked fine, job's a good 'un :thumb

No doubt the other seal will go next time out :blast

I used 5wt oil. I didn't measure the volume exactly but filled to give a 90mm air gap (as per the reprom). The reprom says the fill quantity is 620ml, I probably got about 600ml in.

I did my seals this week too, and was wondering if anybody has tried any mods on the shims?? I used 5w oil and left a 95mm air gap...
I have an enduro this weekend and all last year I ran standard set-up on my 09 bike, which I had the front compression backed right off and still found the initial stroke harsh,, I am around 85kg so according to manual the standard springs should suit...!!!!!!!!!!!!

After cleaning then with a feeler gauge my seals now seem to be holding up :thumb

I have bought some and will replace them soon but for now I've just changed the fork oil.

I'm trying something new, I've made a blend of 2.5w oil and 5w oil and put that in, just to see if I can soften the forks a little more. This was recommended to me by a trials riding friend who does this.

I'm out on Sunday so will see how it does.

Back
Top Bottom