Croatia

GuS

Reaction score
Anybody been to Croatia. Planning to go in September. No details yet but something like 4 days to get there, 4 days in Croatia and 4 days back. Should be able to pull in some good roads.

went sept 09 and would defo go again 4 days is plenty time to get there weather getting there was a bit mixed but once there was great there are cheap places to stay but sometimes takes a bit of time to weed them out ,,,enjoy :thumb2

Come and say hello

Anybody been to Croatia. Planning to go in September.
No details yet but something like 4 days to get there, 4 days in Croatia and 4 days back. Should be able to pull in some good roads.

Depending on where you are heading in Croatia you could overnight at our place. We are 1.5 hours south of Salzburg and 6kms from the A10 autobahn.

I am being allowed out to a bike meeting in northern Croatia in early May. It's in Umag which is just over the border from Slovenia. From our place I could get there in 3.5 hours if I blast down the motorways but I will take the back roads - 6 to 7 hours but a lot more fun.

John

Planning to do some riding there in a couple of weeks. Still wondering if I need to buy separate insurance while in the country as I understand the Green Card is of no use in Croatia. I'm travelling on a GS with Canadian registration and would expect to pick up the ferry in Bari Italy to Dubrovnik then north from there along the coast. Should be wothwhile but I'm realy traveling blind...

Mugz

Planning to do some riding there in a couple of weeks. Still wondering if I need to buy separate insurance while in the country as I understand the Green Card is of no use in Croatia. I'm travelling on a GS with Canadian registration and would expect to pick up the ferry in Bari Italy to Dubrovnik then north from there along the coast. Should be wothwhile but I'm realy traveling blind...

Mugz

Check with different insurers. Most UK insurers include Croatia now as they are part of the same insurance cartel that includes non EU countries such as Norway & Switzerland.

Remember, riding from Dubrovnik to Split involves a brief foray into Bosnia. Be prepared to pay for "insurance" at the border for the 10km or so.

Check with different insurers. Most UK insurers include Croatia now as they are part of the same insurance cartel that includes non EU countries such as Norway & Switzerland.

Remember, riding from Dubrovnik to Split involves a brief foray into Bosnia. Be prepared to pay for "insurance" at the border for the 10km or so.

Thanks wessie, begining to think it may not be worth the risk...

We went in 09, should have gone from Bari to Dubrovnik but ferry got cancelled a couple of days before so went from Anconna to Split.

Croatia was very nice have to say, Stayed at Villa Pape in Trogir half board, its on the internet and was 1st class, all local food prepared on the day, english spoken and the owner makes his own wine (has vineyard) :thumb2

Rode back through Slovenia, Italy, Germany etc.

Enjoy

Teejay

Been a few times before,

Plitvicka National Park is worth a visit, ticket is a bit pricey but you get the use of buses and ferry boats while in the park and if you stay in a local hotel you get two days for the price on one.

p1010009nt.jpg

p1000993p.jpg

Coast road has some interesting turn offs,

dscf0074j.jpg

dscf0073td.jpg

Mostar is worth a look,

img0144m.jpg

As is Dubrovnic,

img0163sz.jpg

You still have to be carefull though,

routetopakrac.jpg

And across to Italy,

p1010016yl.jpg

Didn't want to hijack this thread but... :D any known issues with insurance for non EU riders, and the short amount of time passing through Bosnia?
I'm thinking Dubrovnik is worth seeing, then head north along the coast through Bosnia.+

Regards...
Mugz

bonia

Didn't want to hijack this thread but... :D any known issues with insurance for non EU riders, and the short amount of time passing through Bosnia?
I'm thinking Dubrovnik is worth seeing, then head north along the coast through Bosnia.+

Regards...
Mugz

bosnia can be bypassed by going onto a small peninsula, then a small ferry back to the main land. (cant remember its name)but it was a lovely detour nice roads, we had a couple of hours to wait for the ferry, so had a beer and a swim while waiting for te boat. our map showed a bridge, if yours does ignore it, it does not exist. i know because we went looking for it!
that was coming from the south, from the north get the ferry first.
deffinatly worth the hassle,if i can find the map ill put the name on here. ive ridden europe and beyond a fair bit and without doubt that part of the world is favourate for me.
truly stunning. i can feel a ride coming on.

peninsula

bosnia can be bypassed by going onto a small peninsula, then a small ferry back to the main land. (cant remember its name)but it was a lovely detour nice roads, we had a couple of hours to wait for the ferry, so had a beer and a swim while waiting for te boat. our map showed a bridge, if yours does ignore it, it does not exist. i know because we went looking for it!
that was coming from the south, from the north get the ferry first.
deffinatly worth the hassle,if i can find the map ill put the name on here. ive ridden europe and beyond a fair bit and without doubt that part of the world is favourate for me.
truly stunning. i can feel a ride coming on.

just found it. the peninsula is called, peljesac.
ferry from the main land at ploce to tripanj
this misses out the little bit of bosnia.

just found it. the peninsula is called, peljesac.
ferry from the main land at ploce to tripanj
this misses out the little bit of bosnia.

Very interesting. Here's the info (departure times I guess with a 15 minute turnaround).

ploce-trpanj-summer.gif

Go to the website for times outside the summer timetable.

Edit: prices here
A motorcycle is 39 kuna which is under a fiver.

ferry

exellent, thats the one, we just turned up, put the bikes at the front of the que infront of a germaman campervan, got a cold beer on the harbour, plate of chips, and had a swim, luxury.

Back
Top Bottom