1200GS info thingumy back lighting

Russ

The backlight for the 1200s clocks is a bit of a horrid orangey colour! Is it a coloured bulb that lights the clocks and info display or are they soldred on LEDs?

I want to convert it to a nice tasteful blueish colour like i have on my VFR

The orange colour is the best possible colour for night vision, that or red, blue is the worst possible colour for night vision as it at the shorter end of the spectrum, longer frequency light waves are better at night that's why submariners switch to red light before surfacing at night.

Blue would be fine if the vehicle were equiped with 6000 K HID lights which is the same colour temperature as daylight but your VFR has halogen lights, 3200 K colour temperature so blue backlighting is bad.

I don't have a 1200 by the way but this is one feature that is a positive benefit, if only the clocks wern't so hideous.

Jimb said:
The orange colour is the best possible colour for night vision, that or red, blue is the worst possible colour for night vision as it at the shorter end of the spectrum, longer frequency light waves are better at night that's why submariners switch to red light before surfacing at night.

Blue would be fine if the vehicle were equiped with 6000 K HID lights which is the same colour temperature as daylight but your VFR has halogen lights, 3200 K colour temperature so blue backlighting is bad.

I don't have a 1200 by the way but this is one feature that is a positive benefit, if only the clocks wern't so hideous.

I do believe that I will never cease to be amazed by the depth of your knowledge!

Emoto said:
This is also why jet fighter cockpits are illuminated in red...
Think you'll find they are Blue/Green so as not to upset NVG kit. That's in real life, I can't speak about the movies.

Al

Are you saying the stuff that I see in the movies is not real? Next you'll be telling me that Santa Clause doesn't exist either :p :eek:

Emoto said:
This is also why jet fighter cockpits are illuminated in red...

Most light prop aircraft i've flown have red lights for night flying to light up the cockpit. I've flown Cessna 150, 172, 182, and a few piper cherokees, they all have red cockpit lighting

Russ said:
Most light prop aircraft i've flown have red lights for night flying to light up the cockpit. I've flown Cessna 150, 172, 182, and a few piper cherokees, they all have red cockpit lighting
Red is too bright/severe for NVG, therefore blue/green. Not much call for NVG is light aircraft. The comment had been refering to jet fighters not prop.

Al

and let's not forget Flight Simulator :)

red/orange there too :) (for most plane models I can remember)

great post guys, it meanders like a stream. Far more interesting than 'I'm thinking about considering the possibility of trying out a ............'

Irish Al said:
Red is too bright/severe for NVG, therefore blue/green. Not much call for NVG is light aircraft. The comment had been refering to jet fighters not prop.

Al

But the original point still stands that red/orange colours are better for night than the blue end of the visual em spectrum. I was merely making a comparative analogy to their use in light aircraft...

no jets were harmed in the making of this production!

It still stands to reason that no one has actually answered the original question :dabone

Her name is rio and she dances on the sand just like that river twisting through the dusty land...la la la lalala :D:D

Rob C

You don't seem to be increasing the amount in the piggy bank I could send you say 72p to make it up to a round £43.00 notes if that would push you in the right direction!!!

Hi Bikerbear,
Got a new baby due in a few weeks so cash is in short supply at the moment.

That reminds me, it was payday a couple of days ago. Time to top up the piggy bank.

Thanks for the offer of money.....now then.....what if I create a web site asking for donations? I wonder how long it will take me to get £10,000.....hmmm........

Erm.....Done that.......got to get rid of one of the cars to make the funding easier. Silly me bought 2 new bikes and 2 new cars in 12 months. Sold one bike but still have the rest :(

Back
Top Bottom