Clutch and Sprocket

Harty

Reaction score
I'm having problems getting neutral, when I stop, gear shift lever is really notchy and sometimes I just can not get bike into neutral before turning the bike off, so just turn it off in gear??

I've also noticed a rubbing noise, so I put the bike on my lift and started it up. The first thing I noticed is that I put the bike in gear with the clutch lever depressed and the rear wheel was turning round? The clutch adjustment on the lever is fully out az well.

Q. Does this all possibly indicate that the clutch is on it's way out??

Lastly regarding the rubbing, this appears to be from the front sprocket area. The sprocket bolt is tight, but you can move the sprocket backward and forwards slightly. I've looked on the parts catalogue but can't see the lay out of how the sprocket should be properly assembled, i.e. In order, sprocket, spacer, washer then bolt??

Thanks

order

bolt - washer - diaphragm spring
pinion has EXT stamped on the outside

to remove the pinion - you have to remove the swingarm

Josey

I'm having problems getting neutral, when I stop, gear shift lever is really notchy and sometimes I just can not get bike into neutral before turning the bike off, so just turn it off in gear??

I've also noticed a rubbing noise, so I put the bike on my lift and started it up. The first thing I noticed is that I put the bike in gear with the clutch lever depressed and the rear wheel was turning round? The clutch adjustment on the lever is fully out az well.

Q. Does this all possibly indicate that the clutch is on it's way out??

Thanks

How many miles has your bike done?

With the clutch, if you have no adjustment left on the lever, you can adjust the cable on the other end.

Slacken the cable right off, and remove the little alluminium actuator arm that the other end of the cable slots into on the clutch cover. The actuator arm is on the end of a splined shaft. You can move the arm so it sits back 1 or 2 splines, which should give you some more adjustment back on the lever.

It could be you just have a lot of stretched cable. If you can't adjust it out, then you'll need to take the clutch cover off and have a look.

HTH

N

Thanks for that guys, I'll give the clutch a tweak at the other end. I'll also remove the sprocket again and see why there's movement(The ext is on the correct side as well??)

bolt - washer - diaphragm spring
pinion has EXT stamped on the outside

to remove the pinion - you have to remove the swingarm

Josey

Josey..... what are you going on about here?:nenau

Harty, a characteristic of this issue is the clutch basket may be fluted, ie, groves where the fibre plates act, so when the clutch is disengaged the flutes prevent the clutch plates from seperating, thus giving enough drag to prevent neutral engagement.
A lick with a file can improve remove the fluting and ease the problem. Of course, this is wear in the basket and the true fix is to but a new basket, but filing the flutes will get you plenty of thousands of miles further before you have to make the purchase.
Wet multi-plated clutch bikes all suffer from this......... my XR600 has had a couple of filings and still going strong. ;)

Cheers Timpo, will get my Bastard file out! Thanks for info

Back
Top Bottom