Wapping's Wanders 2012

Wapping

Reaction score
2011 sinks slowly in the west, so it's time to think about next year.

Some ideas of possible destinations:

(a) A 'beginners' weekend

This one will be a definite :thumb2

Suitable for anyone who has never ridden abroad or anyone who just wants to have a trial run with a pillion..... old hands welcome, too. This will be a two day jaunt, bringing in just about every type of road you may come across (motorways, National (N) and Departmental (D) roads, towns and villages)..... maybe the odd farm road, too...... but nothing 'off-road' and nothing that I would not ride on my HP2 Sport, I promise.

(b) Haut Languedoc

In the sort of Castres region. A bit of a schlepp to get there, but I could probably work in some Massif Central or Morvan fun, too.

(c) Chemin des Dames, Verdun, the Vosges / Black Forest and the Schlumpf museum at Mulhouse

More than likely that this one will be a goer :thumb2

A good chunk of French WW1 and then the Bugatti collection, with the forest bit lobbed in for good measure.

Probably lends itself to a longer time away as the museums and site visits will take up most of a day each.

(d) Some classic racing in Belgium and a wander around the Ardennes

Unfortunately the Jehonville racing weekend seems to have dropped off the calendar, but I'll try to find something else. If not, the Ardennes are always good and a doddle to get to.

(e) The Dolomites

This really is a toss-up with the Castres pipe dream. Lots of great riding, if you don't mind hairpins :thumb2 Like the Haut Languedoc proposal, it would have to be a longer jaunt to make it worthwhile.

(f) A four-dayer to Normandy and maybe Brittany

Probably a definite.

The idea here would be to go over to France the afternoon before, so as to save a bit of time the next day.

(g) A couple of camping weekends

I am warming to this idea.

To make a change from the short hop / one night's hotel format, how about a bit of camping instead?

(h) The 'Dijon' run

A decent crack down, some great roads when you are there and a decent crack back. This might lend itself to the 'go-over the night before' idea, too.

==========

Format and anything else?

Numbers? The six to eight bike numbers work well and makes booking hotels easier, for sure. Pillions are welcome, of course.

When? That's a bloody good question. If we can get going in early April and go thro' to mid or late October, we should be able to get most of them in. I will do my best to use bank holiday dates, of course. It may well mean two jaunts in a month, sometimes...... hey-ho.

Hotels? I do try to find private hotels (Logis or similar). If not, one of the chains (Ibis, say). The Logis hotels are sometimes a bit limited with space. I will try to get some dates reserved for next year, early. That will make planning easier, for sure.

Suitable for? Anyone who can ride a motorbike, is the easy answer. They won't be thrashes but we may well need to crack-on with some decent milages (250 plus) on some days. I do try to get everyone to the hotel by 18:30, preferring to start earlier in the day if possible. Similarly, I do try to get some reasonable lunch, coffee and leg-stretch stops in, too.

Getting across the water? I like the Chunnel but have no problem if bods want to take a boat and meet us somewhere.

Routes etc? I will do suggested Garmin GPS routes for all the jaunts. We will use the marker drop-off system, too.

Deposits etc? These are all very much 'amateur' affairs, not in anyway a business enterprise. I try to avoid giving hotels deposits, where possible. But, that does mean trust and that bods have to be near enough certain that they are going to come along. I have had a couple of cry-offs, which were all given in very good time and for very good reasons. No problem at all :thumb2. I have only ever had one no-show..... It wasn't a big issue; just delays bods getting going while we stand about wondering, "Is he, isn't he". I do like to take the 'wondering' out of 'wandering'........

Anything else? A reasonable sense of humour, a bit of self-reliance and a willingness to help out / be a 'good egg'. In short, just the sort of bods who have been on all the wanders so far.

Richard

PS If anyone has a great idea (or just a suggestion) of possible alternatives, sing-up, please. I sort of fancy a Rhine / Moselle jaunt.........

Hi Richard
Sounds good:thumb2
When you get some idea of dates post 'em up.

Re' Moselle, avoid the river road on hot sunny Saturdays DAMHIK but I can recommend a couple of good campsites along the river

:beerjug:
Neil

I'll be keeping an eye on this:thumb

Had a look through your past wanders and they look great:D

I'll be keeping an eye on this:thumb

Had a look through your past wanders and they look great:D

Dublin, calling :thumb2

The last bod we had from the Emerald Isle didn't make it (or rather his bike didn't) beyond day one.... A real pity.

I am conscious that anyone from your part of the globe (and really anyone not in SE England) has a long way to come before we even set off. I am very happy to work in 'meet up' points, where possible.

After a fabulous weekend, ill be up for more next year, camping a definate plus from me:thumb

Thanks again Richard.

For classic racing, keep an eye on the updates here http://www.ihro.org.uk/
some friends who normally go to the Chimay event went to Gedinne this year and though it a much nicer event.

I'll be interested in any of the longer, non camping trips and should be pretty flexible with dates given enough notice. I'm starting a new job soon, subject to terms being agreed, so will be looking forward to plenty of R&R.

The last bod we had from the Emerald Isle didn't make it (or rather his bike didn't) beyond day one.... A real pity.

I am conscious that anyone from your part of the globe (and really anyone not in SE England) has a long way to come before we even set off. I am very happy to work in 'meet up' points, where possible.

The trip across Uk is always the longest part of any trip, but as Kev's from Essex we usually have a stopover(and a few:beer:) on our way:thumb

some friends who normally go to the Chimay event went to Gedinne this year and though it a much nicer event.

Thanks for the link, Wessie.

Hope to see you along sometime in 2012 :thumb2

(f) A four-dayer to Normandy and maybe Brittany

The four days of Easter 6th thro' 9th April may be good for this, perhaps? Go over on the late afternoon of 5th, come back mid-to-late afternoon 9th, maybe?

I looked at the spring and jubilee holidays 4/5 June, but there will be the inevitable clash with the D-Day whatsits. The Dijon jaunt may work better with these, perhaps?

I will start separate threads with these dates in mind, locking the threads up whilst I do some research.

Will there be stickers?

Would certainly be up for something. I'll start driving my wife nuts now. She'll beg me to go :D.

some friends who normally go to the Chimay event went to Gedinne this year and though it a much nicer event.........

I have used the French event list on - http://ffm.cvf.fr/servlet/SomRechEprMultiCriteres
It covers all disciplines and small to large events although it hasn't been updated for 2012 as yet but I'm sure it will.
Of course you may already know about it, but it may be of some use.

All of the above if my wallet allows!

Need to get most use out of the starship enterprise.

After a browse of your proposals Richard, those rides would very much interest myself and Pauline, except the camping one, as you might be aware, we do not do camping. It's the hotel all the way for us.

dxtans

After a browse of your proposals Richard, those rides would very much interest myself and Pauline, except the camping one, as you might be aware, we do not do camping. It's the hotel all the way for us.

dxtans

Excellent news :thumb2

I didn't have you down as campers, I must say :beerjug:

You may well have already found this road but here is mapsource.
the road from zell am moselle south towards kaiserslautern has a fantastic stretch on it through forest...well worth a look.
(my route ends at neckersulm, so feel free to chop off bit you dont need!)

Attachments

• Zell to neckersulm.gdb
    314 bytes · Views: 19

Hi Richard :aidan

Glad to see your planning for 2012.... i'm sure i'll "tag along", or at least try to do at least one.. might try Dijon :eek:.. the camping is even appealing...

I keep an eye on this as the dates firm up... oh... looking for a new machine to avoid this years adventure again:thumb2

Excellent! :D

After a rubbish 2011 biking-wise, I'll be along for a few of these.

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom