This might be a stupid question...

Disaster Area

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
But, do bike tyres have a life span even if there is plenty of tread left? I realize that riding a tyre will wear it away and reveal new rubber, but will the tyre degrade over time and need replacing anyway?

In short

Yes, it depends on a variety of factors, ie tyre compound, where & how it's stored, temperature, humidity, inflated etc but eventually the rubber will crack and perish.

Tyres will age when exposed to sunlight, i.e UVs, water, oils, grease etc over time.
Hardly scientific, but I found if I stick my finger nail in the rubber and it leaves a mark that stays for a few seconds, then the rubber is obviously still soft. I think that many manufacturers recommend changing a tyre thats over ten years old, regardless of condition.
'The date of manufacture can be easily identified by examining the serial number located on the tyre sidewall.
The serial number is an alphanumeric code composed by 11 digits, which is usually, but not always, preceded by the acronym "DOT". The last four digits of the serial number refer to the date of manufacture.
The first two numbers indicate the week of manufacture (which range
from "01" to "52"), while the last two numbers indicate the year of manufacture.
For tyres manufactured prior to the year 2000, the year of manufacture is represented by 1 digit instead of 2 (i.e. 189 would represent the 18th week of 1999).
During the 1990 – 2000 decade some tyres were marked with a triangle pointing to the last digit of the serial number in order to distinguish them from previous decades'.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to spend even more money!

Back
Top Bottom