Muc Off Issue!

tuttobicci

Reaction score
A bit of a school boy error with some Muc Off, net result the wheel rims now have a cloudy finish. Any ideas how to put things right?

Black paint ?
I have the raw alloy ones on my 1100 and they went sort of milky, I scrubbed them with wire wool and WD40 but it has not lasted, next winter I will go over them with Hammerite Satin Black.

A lot of the wheel refurbishment places will do a cracking job or respraying your wheels for not a lot of money. A place near me does it for £60 a wheel.

Do one wheel at a time as your tyres need replacing :nenau

I've used it loads of times on my bicycles, I used it to clean some crap off of the 1150, and I'm sure I let it dwell just a little too long, hence the cloudy rims.

Dilute it before use on wheels. At least 3 parts water to one part muc off

Better still, dont use the shite at all !

A previous owner created loads of damage on my R1100RT with the shite known as Muc-Off, all the flat lifeless silver paintwork you see in the 1st photo was caused by "Muc-Off"
It dulls /ages paint, marks rims, causes streaks, even used as directed or watered down its damage is cumulative, used regularly "correctly" will have the same effect over time as if left on to long.

No amount of cleaning will restore your damaged / marked paintwork, your only option is to re-paint and pour the leftovers down the drain :mad:

Before

muccoffdamage.jpg

After

mucoffrepaint1.jpg

OOPs. I've used it lots on all sorts of bikes with no apparent ill effects. Its not exactly corrosive so how does it cause the damage shown?

I use the pink stuff in a squeezy bottle. There are several different products within the muc off range.

"Its not exactly corrosive so how does it cause the damage shown"

It is corrosive, instructions warn that it should not be left on to long or it will mark your paint, if it marks your paint it is corroding it!

Muc-Off will damage your bike, it will do it quickly if you dont follow instructions and slower if you do, with a progressive ageing effect of your bikes finish, blacks go grey & silver loses its lustre, it would be very noticeable if you could take 2 identical new bikes and treat one to regular cleaning with muc-off and the other cleaned with traditional methods and compare them after say 3 years, the paintwork and finishes of the "Muc-Off machine will be noticebly degaded when compared to the other bike.
The last owner of my bike used Muc-Off regularly and I,m still putting it right.

I use gunk degreaser when necessary, and and ordinary car wash liquid to clean the bike.

I take it this all a conspiracy theory to justify the reason why GS owners don't clean there bikes that often.

Next someone will be saying that they put polish on and it went white.

You don't need Muc Off to clean a bike - total OTT solution to a problem that doesn't exist

All you need is...

Bike shampoo, warm water in a clean bucket, sponges and brushes and rinse off with a hose

Your totally right. But when a bike is very very dirty it helps in all the nooks and crannies. I wouldn't use it for general day to day cleaning.

Don't use Muc Off saw it ruin my mates black anodised stem and bars on his new road bike, turned it a streaky milky white colour in places. Soap and water for me and a liberal spray of ACF-50 which I am really impressed with.

Yep, it is shite - it also rots wiring if used over (not very) long periods.

Don't use Muc Off saw it ruin my mates black anodised stem and bars on his new road bike, turned it a streaky milky white colour in places. Soap and water for me and a liberal spray of ACF-50 which I am really impressed with.

But what are you protecting with the ACF-50? If it's bare alloy - then yes. If you're spraying it over painted alloy............... why bother?

Al

I've been using it for a few years - never seen any problems on my bikes, having said that they're not exactly 'showroom' condition... I find it helps to get off the globbules of tar that Irish County Councils seem to like to liberally apply to any road repairs. And anyway living next to Atlantic coast the salt air does enough corrosion without worrying about Muc Off

I've never used the stuff on my motorbikes, I only use it on the mountain bikes, but never leave it on for longer than 30 seconds.:rob

I use SDOC100 power gel on the bikes, and it's brilliant.:beerjug:

I think my intial thread was something like this.....A bit of a school boy error with some Muc Off, net result the wheel rims now have a cloudy finish. Any ideas how to put things right?....the clue to what I was looking for was in the last sentence/question. I assume there is no answer to my issue...... Sorry to sound like a pr*ck!

Back
Top Bottom