First signs of spring on the Grossglockner

The Grey One

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Snowclearing has started today on the Grossglockner with the expectation they will get the road open for May 1st. Despite recent heavy falls the total amout of snow this last winter has not been above average.

We have several pictures on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/GasthofHochalmspitze?ref=tn_tnmn# and will be keeping a close eye on progress.

We open on the 26th April (with a Fish & Chip evening) should be good biking weather by then. I hope to be at the Grossglockner toll booth on the opening day to be one of the first bikes this year. I will try to remember to take the camera and post some pictures of the conditions on the road.

John

With the warm weather we are getting progress has been good. They still have a bit to do but I think the road might even be open before the end of this month. Here is a link to the Grossglockner Facebook picures from this morning. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.300970433367227.1073741837.124062521058020&type=1
Note the temp. reading of 7 C at over 2,000 metres. Iwon't mean that it will all melt but it will speed up the work.

Early season on the 'Glockner is spectacular with high snow banks lining the route, and no coaches!

John

Every time I ride it the experience is different, and after five years here I long ago lost count. Same with any road I guess but in the Alps the seasons are more marked and the condition more subject to change.

I am always a little puzzled by people who say they have "done" roads like the Grossglockner, meaning they have ridden it once on one day in July. Do these people not have favorite roads that they ride again and again. Mine is the Nockalmstrasse and as it starts 30 mins from my door I ride it as often as I can. As with a good woman I never get bored with the ride!

We open for the summer a week today, hopefully the high roads will be open soon after. The nockalmstrasse is calling me..

John

I am always a little puzzled by people who say they have "done" roads like the Grossglockner, meaning they have ridden it once on one day in July. Do these people not have favorite roads that they ride again and again. Mine is the Nockalmstrasse and as it starts 30 mins from my door I ride it as often as I can.

That's an easy puzzlement to address.

It's because, unlike you, the roads are not sitting on their doorstep. They may only get one opportunity in their life to ride the pass on that one day in July. They have 'done it', bought the sticker, taken a picture, pressed a wild flower, chatted with their mates, drunk a coffee and ridden on to 'do' the next pass. That's how on-off holidays and visits work.

That these same bods may also have ridden some great roads in Spain, Norway, Scotland, Italy or even on their doorstep at home in Penzance, Norwich or Birmingham (whilst you have been hooning up and down the - excellent - Nockalmstrasse) might well count to their credit, too.

Every time I ride it the experience is different, and after five years here I long ago lost count. Same with any road I guess but in the Alps the seasons are more marked and the condition more subject to change.

I am always a little puzzled by people who say they have "done" roads like the Grossglockner, meaning they have ridden it once on one day in July. Do these people not have favorite roads that they ride again and again. Mine is the Nockalmstrasse and as it starts 30 mins from my door I ride it as often as I can. As with a good woman I never get bored with the ride!

We open for the summer a week today, hopefully the high roads will be open soon after. The nockalmstrasse is calling me..

John

Agreed, I have done the Glossglockner about 6-7 times, mostly in cloud or rain

Only a couple of times in the dry

But once in Sept 2003 in cloudless blue skies and 30c (the locals said that only happens a couple of times per year)

That one day was very special:clap

:bounce1

To answer Wapping, they're addictive and therefore....

I think I'll go back to do some of those Swiss,Tyrolean and Dolomite passes again in mid Sept, after I have finished in Provence with Humvee,Cookie and Oscar:D

5 weeks to go:thumby: first time in austria on bike (just got back from Mayrhofen snowboarding) going this year on a organised trip for the first time with John from Pidcocks BMW, top bloke:D

To answer Wapping, they're addictive and therefore....

I think I'll go back to do some of those Swiss,Tyrolean and Dolomite passes again in mid Sept, after I have finished in Provence with Humvee,Cookie and Oscar:D

Oh, I quite agree. They are addictive, because they are all different from each other and different according to the weather, the season or maybe even the time of day. They are also addictive because they are very different to the A406 North Circular or even the Cat and Fiddle.

John's question was why people say they have 'done' such and such pass, when they have ridden it only once on a day in July, when he has ridden the same pass maybe 100 times..... And still doesn't feel like he has 'done' it. Leaving aside the implied snobbery (I know that it's not the case) it's simply because John has more opportunity, whist Tosser Stan from Liverpool may only ever get one go to 'do' it.

A penny to a pound says that John does not say to his guests, as they kick back with a beer in his hotel after a day out 'doing' the pass, "You haven't 'done it, mate". ;) :beerjug:

John

I did it in 2011, in September, and it snowed:thumb2

still had a great time though!

There's a few not to shabby passes around where I live, and like you I can choose the days that I ride them,

going back there is unlikely to be something I do, I much preferred riding the rout Napoleon, and staying in Castellane!

5 weeks to go:thumby: first time in austria on bike (just got back from Mayrhofen snowboarding) going this year on a organised trip for the first time with John from Pidcocks BMW, top bloke:D

You will have a cracking time, this year will be my third time - :JB

Re "I have done it", I know what John means after having ridden the RDGA and back up the RN last year. All done in beautiful weather, and fantastic roads, could'nt have asked for a better trip. But it was not until I was putting a couple of videos together, that I realised just how great it was.
On the ride you are passing through and as well as watching the road, you are trying to take in the scenery. When I ran over my film clips (20+ hrs edited into 3 in total) on 3 different dvds that you then get to appreciate just how great these roads are.
"I'll be back" as the saying goes.........

You will have a cracking time, this year will be my third time - :JB
cant wait:JB looking forward to meeting everybody, ive got a bit of a dilemma though, ive still got 15 days off work when the Austrian trip ends and thought about riding into spain, ie. Benidorm to visit the mother in law where she's living then going north, taking the santander ferry home:beerjug:

A penny to a pound says that John does not say to his guests, as they kick back with a beer in his hotel after a day out 'doing' the pass, "You haven't 'done it, mate". ;) :beerjug:

Please send a postal order for £1 to...... You are right in that I certainly would not put it in those words but I would tell folks about the differences during the season and for those who rode it one way point out that it is a very different experience in the other direction.

Not Long Now

John

Grossglockner is fine if you get there early , god forbid in high season if you are there afternoon in amongst out of control Dutch or Belgian car/campervan/coach drivers or some idiot sports bike riders.
Over the years I have probably ridden the glockner 40 plus times including in 3 inches of snow in July, and the three times I have been coming back over there in the afternoon there have been serious accidents.
Early doors with less traffic it is a hoot but there are plenty just as impressive roads to ride in the area

Grossglockner is fine if you get there early , god forbid in high season if you are there afternoon in amongst out of control Dutch or Belgian car/campervan/coach drivers or some idiot sports bike riders.
Over the years I have probably ridden the glockner 40 plus times including in 3 inches of snow in July, and the three times I have been coming back over there in the afternoon there have been serious accidents.
Early doors with less traffic it is a hoot but there are plenty just as impressive roads to ride in the area

I often take groups out over the Grossglockner and always try to leave here by 9am. I advise guests to leave early to avoid traffic on the 'Glockner although for most of the season it is not really an issue. Late July an August weekends are the busy times. Most of our guests stay for several days so can choose to go on a weekday instead.

In high season,if there are a couple of days when conditions are bad on the 'Glockner , the next fine day can also be busy These days everyone check weather forecasts on line so the they all go on that day, as you said get up early!

I would, of course, agree that there are many other great roads in the area. It's one of the reasons we have bikers coming back to stay with us several times.

John

Sounds like you'll be there the same time as me:thumb:JB

I 'did' it for the first time on a bike in 2011.
Couldn't see what all the fuss was about :rolleyes:

Actually, I couldn't see anything :augie -

Stopped in Heiligenblut on the way up to shelter from torrential rain. When we got to the toll booth they told us the road was only back open about 5 minutes & we were the first to head up so we'd a nice quiet spin ;)

Had the place virtually to ourselves :

Wasn't all bad though :bounce1

Going back in June and I'm thinking I might ride over & back to maximise my investment :D

I'm there in June from the 21st on a mci trip, hopefully be able to ride the "Glockner" my first time as the last time I stayed in zell the weather was horrendous.

Ding-Dong, what tour is it your doing, not the MCi Austria on the 21st June ??

Back
Top Bottom