Newbie from Newbury

beachnut

Reaction score
Hello - picked up my first 1200GS today - traded in my trusty Blackbird due to failing knees (even with pegs lowered the BB was getting uncomfortable for me)
So more upright now and enjoying the comfort and quirkiness - need to learn to ride it properly so more practice tomorrow - nice to be able to ride without having to stop every 30 minutes to stretch.
Impressed by the build quality and the fittings - BMW luggage came with it too.
This one is a 2007 model with 36k on the clock.

Great to enjoy biking again - only downside is the wife says she will go on the back of this one but she needs to be kitted out :eek £££££ unless someone can point me to an alternative to BMW or is that not a good idea?

Thanks for letting me in :)

Welcome to the site, you will find lots of help and good information on every thing you will need. Enjoy the bike as I am sure you are already. :beerjug:

Thanks Rockred - Into my first techie job fitting my Zumo and info to help me on the forum already gratefully received:)

Welcome to the forum. I'm not far from you down in Wantage - may well see you on the B4009! :)

Cheers Gigsy!
Get out that way as the inlaws are in Wantage and my daughter and brood live in Didcot so may see you about.

Oxford BMW where mine came from seemed helpful when I spoke to the parts guy about GPS feeds - connectors in stock if I needed one £11.
Is BMW Oxford a good outfit or is there a better place to go?

GPS Feed:
First go at fettling went well (I hope :eek ) - found out I already had a cut off/insulated previously used feed from the connector by the headstock so no need to buy the bits..

Thanks again all for the excellent info here that made the job easy.:clap

Alas, no more warp drive for you Mister :rob but the all round package of the GSA is pretty special.

Enjoy the new bike. 36k? Yours is just about run in now old chap.

:beerjug:

Welcome

If you have to buy gear for your wife
Worth a look at infinity,s new outlet warehouse in Camberley

Saved a mint on my Rukka Gear

North Oxford BMW have been great in my experience - James in the parts department is particularly helpful.

Info.

Hi beachnut. :beerjug:

Good choice of motorcycle, and enjoy getting used to it. You will know when your there when you think, how did I manage all these years without a GS. The site is very useful, I've now learnt off Old codger that Rukka kit is available in a sale. I need a new jacket, so I get a run on the bike, and hopefully save some money. win win. ATB Jack. :thumby:

Many thanks for your good tips chaps!
Will take the missus to Camberley - the Rukka gear sounds good.

The Oxford BMW buying experience was very civilised and professional - having just helped my daughter buy her first car (Volvo V50 Est) from a dealer not too impressed with the 1000 miles or 1 month warranty that came with it.
- - so when I asked about warranty on the GS knowing it has had a few things done already (drive referb in 2011) blown away by the "oh you get 12 months with roadside rescue anywhere in Europe and parts all covered".

I do like doing my own servicing but will keep them in mind for sure and use them for parts.

Thanks again for making me feel welcome :clap

Back
Top Bottom