Wire harness attached to twin spark stick coil ?

bobsnew

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bike began with a slight misfire yesterday, on taking to right stick coil off I saw that the connector from the cable was corroded and when i pulled it apart part of the 3 connector pins broke inside the coil, I have sourced a new coil, anyone van advise me where the cable connects to & how please, I am unable to remove the tank at the moment as i I have a full tank.

It has a conventional push-fit boot/socket which goes on to the coil, deep under the tank in front of the ABS/Battery
BMW part number 12127686299
You can, if you're in trouble, fit an HT lead from some BMW cars (amongst others) but the lead will probably be a foot or so too long......I got a bike around Morocco and home running one though :)

Here it is:

207.png

PS go to this site and bookmark it, it's extremely useful :thumb2

Just the ticket, thank you.

A pleasure :beerjug:

Two other sites that will be very useful to bookmark, and from where you'll get most parts from cheaper than from a dealer are MOTORWORKS and James Sherlock....Sherlocks tend to be more useful for older Bimmers and those who smell of wee over in the airhead section count him as one of their dearest friends :D

It has a conventional push-fit boot/socket which goes on to the coil, deep under the tank in front of the ABS/Battery
You can, if you're in trouble, fit an HT lead from some BMW cars (amongst others) but the lead will probably be a foot or so too long......I got a bike around Morocco and home running one though :)

Errmm. Wrong information..........You're talking about the standard HT lead which plugs into the coil at one end, and the HT lead at the other.
The OP is asking about the coil stick lead.

The coil stick lead wiring/connector can be repaired. There's a specific repair section available consisting of a short section of loom and the small plug that connects into the stick coil..
The wiring usually overheats and melts, and the wiring is all part of the main loom, hence why the need for a repair section :thumb2

Here it is:

207.png

PS go to this site and bookmark it, it's extremely useful :thumb2

That doesn't sound right.

If he was on about the secondary plugs the info you gave would be right, but he's on about the stick coil and therefore unless he can repair the connector to the stick coil, he will need the repair harness item 8 in your diagram.

Repair kit is a bit pricey...

Mike :cool:

King hell ! That's outrageous ! :eek:

I've seen the connectors identified as a seperate item. Someone on the Adventure Rider site tracked them down, though not available through BMW, you have to buy the complete harness unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Whats the answer then guys ?

Just returned from the garage before reading these posts, Having taken the tank off now, the wiring disappears in the main loom somewhere so not as simple as first envisaged. Its the actual plastic 3 pin plug that fits to the stick coil thats disintegrated ?

I was rather hoping that was'nt the answer !!!
I have the exact same problem and I have no intention of paying 60 quid for a bit of wire and a plastic three pin plug. That, as you said is outrageous. There must be somewhere to purchase the plug separately
As I have found, Steptoe is the man for info on here ( no disrespect to anyone else) Im surprised he hasn't sussed out an alternative.
If/ When I do I will post it up. .

Not that you want to source from B.C. Canada but I have some on harnesses I can cut off if you strike out over there.
PM me

Is it worth claiming under warranty?? (the main loom is not exactly a maintenance item..... )

I think I had the same repair done under warranty a few years ago.

Is it worth claiming under warranty?? (the main loom is not exactly a maintenance item..... )

I think I had the same repair done under warranty a few years ago.

The bike is now a minimum of 11 years old..

I was rather hoping that was'nt the answer !!!

I bit the bullet, and bought a repair kit from Motorworks, after 3 years and another pleasurable 30,000 miles from this bike, I can gladly say I'm now over it and its still running straight and true. :)

:thumb2

Spent quarter of an hour on the net and found a supplier for blank plugs of all sizes. They come with 1 2 3 4 5 etc pins and at a glance look to be pretty much the same as the BERU plug. You simply make them up to whatever configuration you require. There a couple of quid each so im sending off for some and I will give it a try and see what I can come up with.
At £60 a side its got to be worth a try. I cant make a stick coil but I can wire a plug!
PS Steptoe. The bikes 13 years old.My Goldwing is from 1977 and all the plugs and wiring are still perfect...German engineering?

Back
Top Bottom