Anyone been to Norway?

Firegus

Reaction score
The wife & I are going to Norway in late June [by bike]. Are we better to tour around and staying somewhere different each night or would it be better to pick a Hotel / B&B in a central location and do day trips.
We can get a reasonable deal staying in a hotel in central Norway, and I feel it may be less hassle than trying to find a place each night.
We will be in Norway for five days.
All suggestions and recommendations gratefully received.

Fergus

Accomadation is not a problem the camp sites have things called Hyttes (Huts) which are small log cabins with facilities. we did not book anything before we went and had no hassels

Roger's right, use the hytter (huts). It's the most affordable option. And Norway really is too big to just stay in one place and ride around from there. I would plan a round trip around southern Norway (south of Trondheim, say), especially the western coast and the Hardangervidda.

The Norwegian police are very hard on speed, so don't even think of going faster than 80 km/h (yes, you read that right), and don't expect to average more than 50 km/h anywhere. Oh, and wherever there are tunnels, there are usually the old side roads these tunnels replaced, which are infinitely more fun, so keep an eye out for them.

David

Kropotkin said:
Roger's right, use the hytter (huts). It's the most affordable option. And Norway really is too big to just stay in one place and ride around from there. I would plan a round trip around southern Norway (south of Trondheim, say), especially the western coast and the Hardangervidda.

The Norwegian police are very hard on speed, so don't even think of going faster than 80 km/h (yes, you read that right), and don't expect to average more than 50 km/h anywhere. Oh, and wherever there are tunnels, there are usually the old side roads these tunnels replaced, which are infinitely more fun, so keep an eye out for them.

David

Pictures of the huts and some others from our Norway Trip are here http://www.fbot.co.uk/ and Cick on Fat Basta*ds on Tour

..............tunnels I learnt the hard way, so don't use a dark visor the tunnels are unlit and 16k with the visor up through rock that has been below perma frost for eons is not a joke. A tip from a norwegian biker which i found useful is to close one eye before entering the tunnel as it helps with the sudden transition fron blinding sunlight to pitch dark. At least with sun glasses you can whip them off.
The tunnels are great like being in Star Wars X fighter launch with rough huen rock and the headlight beam spread flickering of the walls.

Pictures of the huts and some others from our Norway Trip are here http://www.fbot.co.uk/ and Cick on Fat Basta*ds on Tour

Firegus, you can also check out this address....... Norway

You will also find a link to e-mail Alex who will be happy to answer any queries.

Firegus said:
We can get a reasonable deal staying in a hotel in central Norway, and I feel it may be less hassle than trying to find a place each night.

Fergus

Do please share...the phrase "reasonable deal in a hotel" and "Norway" dont very often go together.

Hotels? No. Hytte? Definitely, yes.

Had three holidays in Norway over the years and used hytte once we found out about them. Many are in the most marvelous locations that would be spoilt by a hotel. They come in all shapes and sizes and with a wide variety of facilities, from very basic to luxury.

Also, if you venture inland towards Sweden (good fun as well) you'll come across cabins as well. In the winter these serve as ski accommodation but many are also open in the summer. Best one we had was just in Sweden and included its own sauna.

Good luck.

we did it last year,top to bottom,4500 miles in total .
all info and photos can be found on www.f650.co.uk
One tip, make sure you set off with new tyres:confused:
The roads in Norway soon distroy them,and we found that finding tyres was not easy,and very expensive

:beerjug: Dazzer

hi furgus land in bergan on the 2nd of july
have done the coastal cruise thing and spent all the time saying ..look at that road she said shut up you r on a boat so impressed were going back on the bike ...we have used fjordpass run by the norway tourist board
type in fjord pass and youll gety loads of cool links
be carful ,eating out and alcohol are v expensive
i paid 170 nok at a supermarket for 6 cans of bud ..
it some place though trolestgen road and the adlantic highway look like a must ... mabye we will see you there ... minky

Theres a lot to be said for staying in one place and riding out each day no matter where you are. It can be a pain, packing each day and finding accomodation. If you only have 5 days and have somewhere central I would use it as a base. If you can get across to Geiranger and Loen you should as its superb. Its actually all nice so don't worry about where you end up. I've spent loads of time in Norway and been over about 10 - 12 times. Its just great. Bergen is known for the rain by the way?? If you go to Berden stop of in Balers Brunns for the finest cinamon cake and hot chocolate ever made.

AndyT;)

Do a search for "Liv, Norway" who posts here and lives in Norway.

He has an open invitation to fellow bikers heading his way. I missed him when I went last year but got lots of good advice about many things.

Booze is scary expensive in Norway!

All the people we met in Norway (and Finland and Sweden for that matter) were really friendly and helpful.

Take a fishing rod (if you're into that sort of thing) as licenses are cheap and the fishing is fantastic. Most petrol stations will have lures and hooks!

Final piece of advice: if you are going to ride the Fjords (and I suggest you do if you get a chance) it is really easy to underestimate how long it takes as the roads are very twisty and keep doubling back on themselves. Beautiful but takes longer than you think!

Have a look at www.roadmc.com for some nice video footage from some norwegian roads. It contains some information about speeding fines as well:gosh GO WEST!

NeilF said:
Firegus

PM me your email address and I'll send you our itinerary from last September.

Some of our pictures are on http://neilf.smugmug.com

Cheers,

Neil.
i contacted niel and he sent mega usfull info on routes maps photos milage the full hit ...very nice man
thanks niel this is for you

Attachments

• slide4.jpg
    slide4.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 96
Thanks

Booked up to stay in Ulvik through Fjordline, staying there for 5 Nights, half board, and doing day trips from there.
As it`s our first venture abroad by bike, it seemed to be the easy option.
Leaving Newcastle on 24th June. arrive Bergen 25th, 5 days in glorious sunshine, don`t need to look for accommodation or food each night, ferry home from Bergen on 30th June,
Can`t wait.

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

:D :D :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom