BMW Navigator V - space running out on internal storage

tecman

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have Navigator V and after upgrading maps to 2014.40 Garmin express is showing 94% usage on Internal storage. I don't remember seeing that message when I initially connected it to PC. I know that 2014.40 maps are about 3.5GB on PC, and 2014.30 where roughly about the same. My theory is that the upgrade to 2014.40 didn't wipe 2014.30 from internal storage and it's now taking so much space as a result.

Could someone with Nav V check their usage? I've tried browsing files via PC, but couldn't find folder which contains around 6.5GB, which makes me think that it's probably hidden from browsing on PC. I've tried reinstalling MAPS but same result.

Where on the device can you see the usage?

Check out zumoforums....it has loads of info on how to free up memory on sat navs. Brilliant site with loads of useful tips on there.

I've had similar issues with both a Zumo 550 & a Nav 4. Bought a seperate card to try & store maps on. Always seem to end up having to choose only the specific areas I'm travelling to to limit the update size.
Check out other posts in the Travel threads (which I think is where this will get moved to)

651 MB Free after update y'day

See attached image for details. Hope this helps. I guess next update will require an SD card which is not yet installed.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 6,018
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.3 KB · Views: 5,712
Last edited:
No it really wont. You can delete old map data and do fresh installs of new stuff. I cant remember the filename ( think its 'gmappsup' or something off the top of my head ) but if you go to zumoforums, there are clear easy to follow guides on how to free up space and install new maps.

See attached image for details. Hope this helps. I guess next update will require an SD card which is not yet installed.

Mine is 94% with 450MB left.

I have 4GB SD card in, but there is no way to specify in Garmin Express where should map update go.

As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure that each map update is about 3.5GB in size and that Navigator V has 7GB builtin memory (visible in my computer when you click on BMW navigator V device), so something else is eating up the rest of it. I tried to find where this used space is coming from and I browsed all folders but couldn't find offending files/folders.

There is a huge amount of stuff that you can delete from your Nav 5 to optimise the space available. This link will take you to a good decription of the sort of things you can afford to get rid of - http://garminzumo.wikispaces.com/FAQ - if you scroll down you will see the screenshots and file descriptions. Suggest you make a backup of your Nav 5 before you start deleting stuff though. All of the language files and help files are obvious first candidates for the chop - after that its down to what you use. I suspect that the map files will slowly get bigger over time but the recent big increases have been due to the inclusion of the 3D information - hopefully, things should be a bit more settled for a while. If you have problems, you don't need the whole of Europe loaded - just take Western Europe or the countries you are visiting. There is also a fix for raising the volume of the voices used on the various units - this works really well. Pete

Connect the Nav 5 to you computer and make hidden files visible. Check the folder "System" on the Nav 5 and look for gmapprom.img. In my case that was the old map. The update to the new map did not overwrite the old map. Instead of that it installed a gmapsupp.img in a different folder. So old crap actually filled up the memory. I deleted the old gmapprom.img and had enough space back on the Nav5. Another solution is, rename the gmapsupp.img to gampprom.img in replace it with the old gmapprom.img.

Connect the Nav 5 to you computer and make hidden files visible. Check the folder "System" on the Nav 5 and look for gmapprom.img. In my case that was the old map. The update to the new map did not overwrite the old map. Instead of that it installed a gmapsupp.img in a different folder. So old crap actually filled up the memory. I deleted the old gmapprom.img and had enough space back on the Nav5. Another solution is, rename the gmapsupp.img to gampprom.img in replace it with the old gmapprom.img.

That's what I thought it would be the case. I'm pretty sure my Windows 8.1 has hidden files visible as this is the first thing I do when I install new OS on my PC, but I'll check for presence of SYSTEM directory and hidden files option.

Thanks for that info. Much appreciated.

On a Mac the folder has the name .sys if I remember correctly. On an English Win 8 I have no clou :D but it should have a comparable name.

Along with help files etc Basecamp was pre installed on mine, removed it to create additional room.

That's what I thought it would be the case. I'm pretty sure my Windows 8.1 has hidden files visible as this is the first thing I do when I install new OS on my PC, but I'll check for presence of SYSTEM directory and hidden files option.

Thanks for that info. Much appreciated.

I wasn't able to see .System folder simply because BMW Navigator V connects to PC in MTP mode by default and you can see system folder only in Mass Storage mode. I googled it and found the article how to do it - http://www.motofans.be/gps/55-bmw-navigator-v/90-bmw-navigator-v-mass-storage-mode-vs-mtp-auto-detect-mode

Looks like my System folder was taking aprox 5.5GB of space due to having 1.1 GB worth of map files for 3D buildings and terrain map. I moved these to my SD card and placed them in /MAP/ folder as per information in http://gpsunderground.com/forum/garmin-tutorials/10744-garmin-additions-files-asr-g2s-db-3d-what-how-update.html

I removed Basecamp installation, unnecessary manuals, voices from other languages and few bits and bobs. That left me with 60% space used on Internal memory and 30% on 4GB SD card which is great result.

Thanks anyone involved for pointing me in right direction

A more logical place would be the very nice GPS section, probably in the dedicated Nav V sub-section. After all, it has as much to do with Travel as it has to do with the inner mysteries of the technical nature of 1200 GS WC motorcycles.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?46-GPS-Info

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?551-BMW-Navigator-V

I'll do that next time, wasn't sure where to put it. On another note, I was given information that you know how to remove waypoints, trips from internal memory in Navigator V when using Basecamp. My Internal memory is bit filled with unwated clutter and I'd like to do housekeeping....I tried using search but searches on someone with 29k posts is overwhelming so I'm using shortcut here and asking directly about that.... Could you help beginner please?

Thanks.

The routes, Favourites, waypoints and other 'clutter' should vanish when you select 'delete' on the device.

However, the device might still display them and / or make them available to reload until you next connect the Nav V to your computer. This is a handy safety net feature as it saves the possible problem of deleting a route by accident when out and about, then wishing that you hadn't.

Give it a go.

The worse thing that can happen is that the 'clutter' won't vanish, even after you have hit 'delete' and / or is still there after you have connected the device to your computer. That circumstance requires some thought as to what might be happening and a possible alternative answer to solve the problem. If and when that happens, start a fresh thread in the GPS / Nav V section. It will be answered much quicker (and probably better) there. It will probably involve the use of Finder, locating the location of the 'clutter' within the device's files and folders, then deleting it all manually. Before we get there, try the simple things first.

Richard

Had same crap from Garmin with my 550, do they not test these updates to see if they fill up memory,?
Normal punter just wanna plug & play, I've no doubt I'll survive as computer savvy but it seems a fight to maintain it working correctly..

Another thing, just paid a chunk of ££ to buy the nav 5, memory is so cheap nowadays, I would expect it to be slightly more future proof & have more internal memory installed from the start..

Back
Top Bottom