OS MapFinder app

bmwbikeruk

Reaction score
OS MapFinder app from Ordnance Survey is really useful for basic navigation on the roads or over the hills. You can buy a 10 x 10km tile of OS Landranger 1:50K for 69p each or OS Explorer 1:25K for £1.99 each. You can therefore buy tiles of your favourite areas. However OS MapFinder does come with bundles of National Parks, Regions which work out a lot more cheaply.

For instance, you are based in Wales. You can buy the whole of Wales in OS Landranger 1:50K for only £9.99. If bought in 10 x 10km tiles instead, you may end up buying some 1000 tiles at 69p each or £69 in total to cover all of Wales.

It would be very handy for any iOS devices including iPhones, mini iPads or iPads (have to be 3G or 4G+wifi model because of inbuilt GPS facility). This means you can read maps offline (without 3G or 4G or wifi connection) and still get a GPS location from satellite signals!

Any map tiles bought in 10 x 10km format, parks or regions format will come with a lifetime map update! What's more, you can share any purchased maps with up to 5 various iOS devices registered to your single Apple ID!

I shall wait for the launch of iPhone 6 which should be more bike-friendly!

More info on OS MapFinder at

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/os-mapfinder/id577097874?mt=8

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/mapfinder

Besides wondering quite what the iPhone 6 (when it's launched) and all this OS map malarkey has to do with the Nav 5, are you certain that it's going to be waterproofed enough for motorcycle useage.... That's before you consider powering the thing reliably.

PS Thankfuly, I am not based in Wales, so have saved myself £69 of basic use navigation maps.

Yeah but there are net sites where you can view OS for free and all that you need is a printer or print scrn :nenau

co pilot is the cheaper option. Works offline too. I have even managed to cobble routes together on the Android tablet, send it to my memory card, then swap memory card back into phone. And it was free when I got it. Works well. I use it as a backup to paper, others and my garmin. Very nice bit of kit. I did struggle to get the routes from co pilot to the garmin though as no access to a converter on the galaxy tablet. But now got a Linux netbook ill travel with. So maybe..

Not quite GrinningGSer! You won't get a live GPS location over a screenshot! OS MapFinder is live wherever you go. ;-)

OS MapFinder will accept any gpx files if you create a route from mapmyride etc. Handy for cycling that I do as well.

Besides wondering quite what the iPhone 6 (when it's launched) and all this OS map malarkey has to do with the Nav 5, are you certain that it's going to be waterproofed enough for motorcycle useage.... That's before you consider powering the thing reliably.

PS Thankfuly, I am not based in Wales, so have saved myself £69 of basic use navigation maps.
No, it will be only £9.99 for the whole of Wales or other region wherever you are in region format rather than separately purchased 10 x 10km tiles! ;-)

co pilot is the cheaper option. Works offline too. I have even managed to cobble routes together on the Android tablet, send it to my memory card, then swap memory card back into phone. And it was free when I got it. Works well. I use it as a backup to paper, others and my garmin. Very nice bit of kit. I did struggle to get the routes from co pilot to the garmin though as no access to a converter on the galaxy tablet. But now got a Linux netbook ill travel with. So maybe..

Co pilot app cost £19.99 for UK coverage whilst navfree app for UK is free! See at https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/navfree-gps-uk-roi-+-street/id391334793?mt=8

If you want free OS map print, best go to http://www.gps-routes.co.uk, select any county then select one of routes then select link at top for ordnance survey map view then pan to anywhere of UK coverage of your choice for 1:50K display to print or save as PDF!

It was free when i got it 2 years ago. Transferred to 2 new phone too so must be tethered to an account. Sorry you missed it.

Back
Top Bottom