Is this quick connector fecked?

flytoolow

Reaction score
I've just had to remove the tank on my GSA, and when I removed the quick connectors fuel started to pour out. Now I don't remember that happening before and luckily the tank wasn't full so I've only got about 27 litres on the garage floor!

Now when I come to put it all back again, I think the reason is a fecked connector ?

Any ideas

?
jenu4yva.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think that petrol would have stopped coming out if you had pressed in the tab and pulled out the white piece.

I had one snap like that - go for the metal ones! I've got some old plastic ones in the garage if you're desperate...and local

I think that petrol would have stopped coming out if you had pressed in the tab and pulled out the white piece.

...Ill try that next time!

I had one snap like that - go for the metal ones! I've got some old plastic ones in the garage if you're desperate...and local

Thanks for the offer...not really local Im afraid..Switzerland...

Cheers

(Now Ive got one bike with no insurance, one bike with no battery...and now one with no fuel...bugger!)

You can buy a complete set from Beemer Boneyard. I just replaced all of mine a few weeks ago. The little ring gaskets on mine were completely shot so I'm glad I did.

Ok, is there a tool or a knack that I need?
I've got some new metal connectors that come with ( I suppose) spring compression jubilee clips.
I've got some needle node pliers but the buggers don't seem to want to come off. Am I doing this right ?
8ygeqe4a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are not reusing just use a pair of diagonal cutters and cut across the clamp

If you are re using them use a pick or a small screwdriver to prise open that raised area

to tighten them Use diagonal cutters or nippers

Oh yes, it really is that simple, pulls straight out.
No, it never snaps off in little pieces leaving the inner stuck firmly right down in the female section of the connector. ... :D

...Ill try that next time!

Yes, you try that. :D

Why do we do this to ourselves???

OK,

Great advice RE: the Clips..(Note to self..Must pay subs even if I dont want to buy anything!)

So, After replacing the connectors with metal, and the clips, Now Ive found out that the 90 degree conector wont bloomin connect...No way...(yes I have pushed in the "clip"). Push it together and all I get is a squirt of gasoline in the mush!

So...Tank off (..again!!!), take off connectors and test..Yep, the last one is fecked now...another call to motorworks, another 20quid import tax...

OK..Rant over..

Anyone looking forward to electric motorcycles ?

Buy a full set of chromed brass connectors from Beemer Boneyard, new clamps from BMW, some new hose from your local motor factor and forget about QD snags... :rolleyes:

OK,

Great advice RE: the Clips..(Note to self..Must pay subs even if I dont want to buy anything!)

So, After replacing the connectors with metal, and the clips, Now Ive found out that the 90 degree conector wont bloomin connect...No way...(yes I have pushed in the "clip"). Push it together and all I get is a squirt of gasoline in the mush!

So...Tank off (..again!!!), take off connectors and test..Yep, the last one is fecked now...another call to motorworks, another 20quid import tax...

OK..Rant over..

Anyone looking forward to electric motorcycles ?

There definately is a knack to getting that 90 degree one done up. On mine I could do with just a tiny bit more fuel pipe as it's very tight. Be patient, it's the only way. I f'ked up one of the sliding clips on that connector by bending the sliding collar when I pulled it through under the tank:( But.... the old plastic ones can be taken to pieces - press down the sliding collar then press the detent clip all the way in with a pin and let the collar slide all the way out. Just be sure to do it slowly and not let the little spring fire the detent into space when it clears the collar..... Refit is reverse. I've disassembled the old clips and keep the parts to fix the metal ones when I inevitably do it again.

I used to put a smear of Vaseline on the connector O rings to make them slide easily into place. Also carry a couple of spares as they are easy to damage.

I used to put a smear of Vaseline on the connector O rings to make them slide easily into place. Also carry a couple of spares as they are easy to damage.

I had the same problem and found vaseline was the answer - saves wrestling with them whilst trying to get more purchase in some weird yoga-esque position.

:thumb

Smother the connectors on grease before reconnecting, especially around the "O" ring section.

Any silicon grease will do the job as above, better than Vaseline which can attack some rubbers. Just don't be tempted to use it on metal to metal joints or sliding components - it performs as an 'anti lubricant' in those situations and causes galling and seizure.

Beemer Boneyard?

Buy a full set of chromed brass connectors from Beemer Boneyard, new clamps from BMW, some new hose from your local motor factor and forget about QD snags... :rolleyes:

...Must admit, Looking at those from BB look like the doggies danglies...IOIWHK

...Will take a look there the next time I feck up a 5 minute job and turn it into a most drawn out costly repair.

Thanks

F2L

Beemer Boneyard

Were doing a discount for ADV forum members if you go that route Got my brass disconects from them excellent service

Back
Top Bottom