Preventative maintenance ?

jimbo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 1150GS has recently passed 70k miles and its 13th birthday. Whilst occasionally I look at newer/fast/shinier bikes, I don’t really see the need it stil does all I need well enough for me. I think I'd like to see 100k roll by on it.

With the exception of a final drive bearing and a dodgy spy ball alarm, it’s never let me down. I service it by the book plus advice and tips from here (and always use synthetic oil :augie :eek:)

I’m hoping to do a few longer trips this this summer. After 3 RAC recoveries in my Land rover this year, I’d really rather not travel by recovery truck if I can avoid it.

Is there any ‘preventative’ maintenance I should consider or do I just continue to keep an eye on things and hope for the best. Either replacement or inspection. After many trouble free years, I don’t mind spending a few £ if required – compared to a new bike it’s peanuts.
- the clutch is original, and still seems to grip OK
- Hall Sensor ?
- HT leads ?
- Coil Packs ?
- err?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

The best form of 'preventative maintenance' you can do is read through this section where you'll find the question has been extensively answered:beerjug:

If you've done that many miles then you'll know your bike well. You'll spot things going/feeling wrong, then look here and fix them as they come IMO. Just run it as you are and keep a watching brief.

Keep doing as you have been . If your worried a out hall sensors etc just carry a spare chances are you will never need them there are plenty of 100-200-300+know 1150s out there still going strong :)

Change brake fluid every 2 years or sooner if you have the kit to bleed the ABS. Any slight dragging from each brake strip and clean the caliper. Done early you'll avoid needing new seals.

Sent from a widget that can't spell.

Back
Top Bottom