Problem with 1150 GSA Display

Anthonypowell

Reaction score
I have a 1150 GSA which has developed a problem with display showing temperature, Fuel level and Gear indicator. This does not happen all the time but sometimes when turning the ignition on I get no Fuel Gauge, temperature and gear indicator and the clock stays on the same time, the only way to rectify this is to pull the blue fuse and this resets the display, any ideas would be kindly received
Thanks

That will be the RID (rider information display), and I suppose the blue fuse will be fuse 3 (15amp). Fuse 3 is just so the clock gets continuous power with ignition switched off. The power for the RID comes from the motronic relay.

If you have HID's fitted, then these can have an effect on the RID. Which can usually be curred by repositioning the HID ballast unit.

if you don't have HID's fitted then it could be corrosion. The RID interfaces with the bike loom at an 8 way grey connector located under the tank at the headstock. It might be worth checking this connector for corrosion.

There is also a possibility that the RID is failing internally, it is a semiconductor device and within the unit there could be corrosion causing it to fail.

Hope this helps

Ian

Many thanks Ian
Yes have HID lights and Ballast under display so will move it, Cannot understand why it is happening now as had the lights for 3 years
Tony

The RID is a low voltage semiconductor display unit with no screening.

The HID is a very high voltage unit. You need a EHT to create the arc on the bulb.

Chances are that the HID because of it's age is starting to breakdown and producing electrical noise and this is inducing a voltage in your RID which is causing it to become intermittent.

Distance between the two items should be the prefered option. Failing that you could try screening. I used alluminium tape. There are no guarantees with either method. After all the bulb where the arc is struck cannot be moved away from the RID.

Ian

I had the same problem and i do have HID as well, after a few days of mocking around with it I realised it was a bad fuse, it looked perfectly fine fine to the eye but it was a dodgy one.
I wish I replaced that one in first place!

Back
Top Bottom