R1100 GS Won't Start!!

Sokratis

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum so I dont know if anyone has the same problem. I just obtained a 1997 R1100 GS that had been sitting in a garage for almost 2 years after a crash (nothing major, just the fork needed changing). I picked it up from the garage to drive it to my house. At first it ran great but after 5-10 minutes it just died and hasnt started again since. I have tried everything, including changing fuel pump, cleaned the injection system, installed new fuel pressure regulator (fuel return valve?) and generally the ignition and injection system seems to be working perfectly. Spark plugs are working great but the bike just won't start, only making some small bangs from the exhaust. It has been almost a month and I haven't found a way to even make it start. I would be really grateful if someone could help me. Thanks in advance :beerjug:

The tank is cleaned , the filters are new, the fuel is new (and quite expensive :p ), fuel pump is new. Fuel system seems perfect :(

The only thing left to check is the HALL sensor so I'm going to do that today, but i had the impression that a problem with the HALL sensor would cause no spark in the spark plugs, which is not the case. Anyway I'll be back with the results :)

Ok, to quote Clymer manual - 4 stroke engine needs fuel, spark and oxygen to start. You say you have spark, oxygen should be a non issue as well so that leaves us with the fuel supply. Have you removed the injector trying to crank, should squirt fuel and it's (AFAIK 4) little holes not clogged. If it squirts fuel perhaps the mixture is too rich flooding the engine, try to crank it and immediately remove one spark plug to check if it's all wet?

The fuel injectors are clean and they are injecting in a cloudy manner rather than squirting (which is the correct way if I am not mistaken). Also, the spark plugs are not wet but they are black after the bangs from the exhaust.

The only thing left to check is the HALL sensor so I'm going to do that today, but i had the impression that a problem with the HALL sensor would cause no spark in the spark plugs, which is not the case. Anyway I'll be back with the results :)

If one of the Hall sensors goes down, you'll still get a spark but it will be very retarded. When mine packed up the engine would start but only at a slow idle. Any throttle would make it cut out. There is a Bosch part number on the Hall sensor plate so you can purchase through their distributors rather than a dealer - about 25% cheaper IIRC.

Well I feel the HALL sensor is the only thing I havent checked according to the link provided by bisbee so, even though the symptoms are different than yours I will check the sensor and will post the results. Thank you for your advice and I will be back to either thank you or request your help again :)

Back
Top Bottom