Off roading in the Alps and therabouts

Michael R1150GS Adventure

Reaction score
SO who here has done a bit of this there?
Me and matey going away for ten days on the regularly off roaded 1150 GSA and 1200 suited and booted accordingly...

We aint fresh to it and neither are the bikes, but what we know feck all about at the moment is are there any trails we can hit without getting shot/arrested/shagged by a goat *delete as appropriate.

ALso, any recommendations for campsites over there would not go amiss at all.... im searching but u cant beat a recommendation :D

Cheers in advance chaps and chapesses

There are definitely plenty around, but I am not sure of the best areas for lots of trails close together, just got back from around Andermatt where there are a few, but around there a few have been closed to vehicles in recent years.

Have a poke around www.alpineroads.com and get a logon and ask the same question, you should get some good feedback.

Hi Micheal, hope your ok, we were riding the RDGA a couple of years ago and met a couple of guys on big KTM's who were doing the same but not using tarmac, so I guess there is some info out there somewhere.

Have fun, John.

Well hello there! Aye all good thanks, been racing the GS a bit more - Kielder was a hoot this year (great weather again) - ragged the arse end off two brand new E-09's but they were superb, transformed the bike. No damage this time amazingly, except for a marshal going past me on gravel at about 90 when i was doing 70 - blinding me, throwing rocks at me, nearly coming a cropper.... gulp. Im having a look again at that site, lots of the links dont seem to work. Like you say, lots of info out there, just gotta find it :)
Hope youre well mate.

Learn German and buy a copy of Denzels 'Grosser Alpen Strassen Fuhrer' lists all the Alpine passes including the non metalled/gravel tracks

www.alpenrouten.de (in German) is same/similar to Denzel. Useful even if you don't speak German. (btw, Schotter = gravel)

Routes I've done Ligurische Grenzkammstrasse (my favourite) the Assietta, Tunnel du Parpaillon and loads of roads around Bardonecchia (Mont Jafferau etc.) All these are in France or Italy (or both). There are loads of tracks everywhere though it's rarely clear if they're accessible or not.

No GPS coordinates etc but it's all on Alpenrouten.de

Back
Top Bottom