Brisk Spark Plugs

ColinFromDevon

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently tried Brisk Spark Plugs in my new to me 2003 R1150R twin spark as part of my tuning it up process, I want to share my story and hear from anyone else who's tried them. Upon fitting them I straight away noticed a small but worthwhile difference, especially at very low revs in low gears, nice. A month on and 750 miles later, after washing the bike one day, (I think the wash/water started something) I rode off and started having a problem at low revs/wide throttle and at full throttle 4000/5000rpm, bike would stutter cough and temp' stall, quite nasty, this problem went on for some days while I tried to work it out, after ruling out fuel problem I found my stick coils were looking bad, corroded on the outside quite badly, thought aha that be it, and the water from hose wash must have gotten in around the coil. I bought 2 new coils expecting that to solve it, esp' as one of the written about syptoms of a faulty coil is that your bike will run ok for first few miles of a ride and then it goes wrong (once warmed up a bit) and this is what was happening, consistantly. But changed the coils and still had the problem ? I took the tank off and went through every ignition system lead and sprayed WD40 into every connection & checked they all were good and tight and with no water in them. But still no joy. Then I thought I'd change the plugs over back to original, just to eliminate possibilties and to my surprise it cured it. So were the corroded coils a false lead? Was it the plugs/or plug that had failed by themselves ? Or had the bad coils somehow damaged the plugs - which I think would be weird, but maybe?? So I contacted brisk using their online contact form 1st and then with 2 more emails, telling them the whole story and asking their opinion and whether the plugs can be sent back and tested? but I never got a single reply, which I think is pretty poor, they have just totally ingored me. Someone in the trade spoke with me that said Brisk might be reluctant to email honestly about possible faults as once in writing it can be reproduced elsewhere online and make bad publicity. So I'm left in the dark and if Brisk know anything they arn't talking. Anyone else got experience of these with a twin spark engine? Anyone know enough about the mysterious world of electricity and ignition to know whether the coils might have broken the plugs?

I don't know about Brisk plugs but do know that post-wash poor running is often a sign that the wiring from the HES sensor has broken down due to heating. Do a google search and you'll find plenty of threads on the problem.

Coils on the twin spark can be bad even without external corrosion. Beemerboneyard has a good replacement set for a fair price.

Tried them on my 1100 GS a few years ago, sent them back as the bike just miss fired badly above 2000 rpm , motor works sent me another set which were just the same . Bike has run fine ever since on standard plugs . In my ( humble ) opinion GS'es run best standard, over the years I've tried a Remus exhaust and K&N air filter, ran crap with all of them. Happy with standard now.

Anyone who believes that spark plugs can operate in the way shown in the pictures they produce to sell them is a fool!

$(KGrHqFHJC8E7BcvgBLOBO3lq6,!S!~~60_57.JPG

expensive shite!:augie

Ngk's are the only plugs I've used. Also the only plugs I will use now.

Most running problems I've encountered have been cured by binning the crappy plugs, champions usually. Did find some brisk in something. They were crap too.

Ngk's are the only plugs I've used. Also the only plugs I will use now.

Most running problems I've encountered have been cured by binning the crappy plugs, champions usually. Did find some brisk in something. They were crap too.

Is this still happening? Blimey, I started as a mobile mechanic in 1977 and gave up using Champion plugs after a month or so. If I customer's car refused to start I got a call at home. Changing to NGK stopped those calls completely. The cars by the way were mostly air cooled twins and flat fours.

John

I tried Brisk plugs in my 1100 some years ago; after 70 miles it was like riding a kangaroo with colitis :rolleyes: I stuttered to a halt outside Halfords and swapped them for a set used in a Ford Fiesta, normal service was resumed.

Do you remember the Alfa sud flat 4? Only plugs that worked were lodge anyone remember? Jjh

I have been using brisk for more than 10000miles and very happy. my bike goes smooth and strong comparing to ngk. my one is single spark one and when i used ngk it was vibrating noticeably at the handlebar then removed them and put brisk back , the vibration was reduced a lot.

they're all pretty much the same IME, although my E does not extend to brisk.

Addressing the original question here.....the coil packs 'damaging' the plugs.....

I'm just guessing, but logic says yes, quite possible.

If the coil pack is leaking HT current, the plug won't be able to create a proper spark, and with Brisk plugs, the four ground electrodes will, presumably, need a pretty hefty HT supply to spark cleanly.

Follow that logic, and if the coil pack is not functioning at 100%, the HT supply could/will be weak, and perhaps the Brisk style plug just won't work as well as a single electrode traditional plug.

That non-sparking/poor sparking could in theory (again, guessing only) erode or damage the tips, or build up some form of deposit :nenau

I'm guessing (I 'm doing a lot of that in this answer I know :blast) that if the whole HT system is in tip top order, the Brisk plugs may well provide a much cleaner burn, more power and so on through being a better source of ignition for the fuel/air mix, but once the HT system falls below a certain level of efficiency, they will work a lot LESS effectively than the traditional plugs :nenau

I made all of that up, but it sounds good doesn't it :D

Addressing the original question here.....the coil packs 'damaging' the plugs.....

I'm just guessing, but logic says yes, quite possible.

If the coil pack is leaking HT current, the plug won't be able to create a proper spark, and with Brisk plugs, the four ground electrodes will, presumably, need a pretty hefty HT supply to spark cleanly.

Follow that logic, and if the coil pack is not functioning at 100%, the HT supply could/will be weak, and perhaps the Brisk style plug just won't work as well as a single electrode traditional plug.

That non-sparking/poor sparking could in theory (again, guessing only) erode or damage the tips, or build up some form of deposit :nenau

I'm guessing (I 'm doing a lot of that in this answer I know :blast) that if the whole HT system is in tip top order, the Brisk plugs may well provide a much cleaner burn, more power and so on through being a better source of ignition for the fuel/air mix, but once the HT system falls below a certain level of efficiency, they will work a lot LESS effectively than the traditional plugs :nenau

I made all of that up, but it sounds good doesn't it :D

it will only arc to one electrode at a time. that is why the earlier poster took issue with their photo.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, and it seems that Brisk plugs are not as reliable or sturdy as traditional or NGKs. Thanks for the suggestion about the HES Roger 04 RT, I took a look but don't think it's that with my bike. Thanks for your theories too Fanum, I think they sound good ! Motorworks sold me another set at discount, so I'll try them once more as I did notice improved pull low down in 1st & 2nd gear particularly, if I get problems at least I know where to look straight away. Certainly I'm going to be more gentle n careful with my bike washing !

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, and it seems that Brisk plugs are not as reliable or sturdy as traditional or NGKs. Thanks for the suggestion about the HES Roger 04 RT, I took a look but don't think it's that with my bike. Thanks for your theories too Fanum, I think they sound good ! Motorworks sold me another set at discount, so I'll try them once more as I did notice improved pull low down in 1st & 2nd gear particularly, if I get problems at least I know where to look straight away. Certainly I'm going to be more gentle n careful with my bike washing !

Very good of them. !!! Another pair at a discount ott. Cheek. Jjh

Actually, you can get such a display. Just connect the spark plug up to an 11kv neon sign transformer, and you will get the photo shown.
However, in the real world, in an engine, such a display is impossible.
As the pressure in the cylinder rises, the apparent air gap also increases, and the discharge becomes more difficult.
When it actually takes place, it does so at the point of least resistance, and so a single spark "jumps" from the centre electrode to "ground". There will never be more than a single spark. Multiple paths are impossible, because as soon as the initial discharge takes place, this becomes the discharge path and voltage drops sufficiently to prevent any other discharge path occurring.
As the first ground electrode gradually "wears" away, the discharge path to this electrode gradually increases, and spark will then discharge to an alternate electrode with a slightly lower discharge resistance. Thus, over time, all 4 of the electrodes will be used, but never at the same time.
Myke
Anyone who believes that spark plugs can operate in the way shown in the pictures they produce to sell them is a fool!

$(KGrHqFHJC8E7BcvgBLOBO3lq6,!S!~~60_57.JPG

expensive shite!:augie

Back
Top Bottom