Yamaha R1 - Anything?

BrendanS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
My brother just bought a rather fetching '04 R1. Any issues with the model he should be aware of? I know previous years' models had a few problems with handlebar shakes when accelerating hard?

Hi all,
My brother just bought a rather fetching '04 R1. Any issues with the model he should be aware of? I know previous years' models had a few problems with handlebar shakes when accelerating hard?

Hi Brendan,

No major issues as far as i know. I bought a new one in 05 and i think they are the same (underseat pipes)? If it has a rear seat cowl just make sure it's properly attached as mine came off under hard acceleration and shattered into a million pieces...

Great bike though, power to weight ratio is ridiculous and performance is stonking (109mph in 1st with a top end of 186mph)...

Weren't called widow makers for nothing!!!

Great bikes, with suspension more suited to the road, than the other litre-bikes of its day.

See below for a review of them:

Al

Thanks SE and Al, much appreciated. That was scarily quick Al on the post of the R1 review. Do you have a collection of different models ready to go? I was a little concerned when he gave up his R1100S to buy it, short arse 50 year old speed freak that he is. I'm wondering if buying this for his birthday is his midlife crisis so he can feel like he a young buck again! My attempts to get him onto a GS were in vain when he couldn't see over the seat ...

Great bike, sometimes a little unpredictable in the wet!

R1_zpswcnaxc55.jpg

Thanks SE and Al, much appreciated. That was scarily quick Al on the post of the R1 review. Do you have a collection of different models ready to go? I was a little concerned when he gave up his R1100S to buy it, short arse 50 year old speed freak that he is. I'm wondering if buying this for his birthday is his midlife crisis so he can feel like he a young buck again! My attempts to get him onto a GS were in vain when he couldn't see over the seat ...

I had that review in my photo bucket library already.

I love my R-1...............:D

Al

Wow, that's pretty nice. Any fun extras on that you'd recommend?

Dymag carbon-fibre wheels,
Galfer discs/pads
Ohlins R&T Forks
Holiness Remote Preload shock
Power Commander 3
Factory-Pro Velocity Stacks
CRG Levers
Two Brothers cans

Al :D

Back
Top Bottom