best battery [again]

cookie

Stay Frosty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
what is the currently [sorry] the best battery to fit to an 1150?

as a precaution, i recently replaced the 5 year old, bmw original battery with a DETA lead/acid. since when it is sluggish to turn over & faults the ABS after cold starts.
old battery had way more guts & i'd replace it, but i sold it already :rolleyes:

as i bought the DETA second hand [new & unfilled] i can't just take it back. i'd like to say i'm not casting aspersions on the guy i bought it from. i'm sure he would have been unaware of any problem.

might as well fit one of these new fangled gel/AGM thingys i guess. what's the best one?

I jut put VARTA on mine, it's the most expensive one i could get around here from shops :p

Last one was DELO. Dunno how old it was, but i got ABS working about 1 start from 9 all electricity consumers off and fully charged, so really hopless battery.

Let's see how VARTA works out. Cured my ABS starting problems 100% so far, even if i start with lights and heated grips turned on.

Got one of these two weeks ago after having a few starting problems. Fine so far, time will tell if it was worth the money.

Attachments

• screenshot029.jpg
    screenshot029.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 269
Ditto Whatton's suggestion. Had mine fitted since late last year and haven't bothered with the optimate since. :thumb

Adam :)

i replaced my "wet" battery earlier in the year, wasn't having any problems with it, ABS always worked from 1st start -

Replaced it with an Odessey - same as whattons, meant to solve all the ABS batterys and thousands of other reasons why it's better -

But it isn't, my ABS lights now flash alternatly from 1st start, and it turns the engine over slower than he wet type - and they run out of steam faster than a wet battery, if your engine doesn't fire straight away - no one else seems to have these problems with them, so perhaps it's just my battery ?

Steptoe said:
i - no one else seems to have these problems with them, so perhaps it's just my battery ?

I've got a 2nd hand gel battery I could bring to Beaulieu for you to try :) ;)

Steptoe said:
i replaced my "wet" battery earlier in the year, wasn't having any problems with it, ABS always worked from 1st start -

Replaced it with an Odessey - same as whattons, meant to solve all the ABS batterys and thousands of other reasons why it's better -

But it isn't, my ABS lights now flash alternatly from 1st start, and it turns the engine over slower than he wet type - and they run out of steam faster than a wet battery, if your engine doesn't fire straight away - no one else seems to have these problems with them, so perhaps it's just my battery ?

i have the same battery and it sometimes the abs doesn't set and sometimes it does, since i've never had a wet battery in it i don't know about the slower turn over......

steptoe....what about the seat lock?;)

Recently fitted a VARTA to my 1150 a month or so ago. Cured my ABS and clock re setting problem, although my original battery was down to 40%. Cost £42 at a local battery wholesaler. No complaints so far.

When I bought my bike, I was having the occasional starting/abs voltage problem. 1100GS, BMW battery with low electrolyte level. Bought a new DETA battery from Motorworks to solve it but the problem seemed to be getting worse. Voltage dropping to 7-8v on startup.
I was now starting to get a bit worried, did all the abs fixes and even swopped the starter with the one on my 850r. Nothing made a difference.

As a last resort, topped up the old battery, charged it and put it back on. Bike jumped to life with no abs faults since.

Conclusion, new battery was a dud. Returned it to Motorworks who were fine about it. They said they have more returns from bad new batteries than any other item.

The intention was the eventually get an Odessey, but reading the above I'm not so sure.......? Has anyone else been dissapointed with them?:confused:

got to admit, i was expecting more er positive feedback on the odyssy.

wish i'd kept my old BM battery now. it was seeing whattons bike with a flat battery at lands end that made me think about a new one. it's the same age as mine & i thought i was probably on borrowed time.

i left my bike for just under 2 hours outside a shop yesterday & the ABS wouldn't set first time i started it up when i left :mad:

Here's some more positive Odyssey nonsense for you.

My original battery all the usual running flat, abs, clock reset and lights probelm.

Had the Odyssey about a year now and haven't had a problem since, rain or shine snow and ice bla bla bla.

It just works on mine and never needed to charge it.

I'm no techniccal whizz by any means but I gather the 'problem' with Odyssey batteries has something to do with the battery needing a higher charging rate than the output of the [insert name of charging bit on the bike - brains gone, I've just worked through the night - alternator?].

I've seen no ill effects but I don't have ABS - I think the ABS gubbins is a little sensitive to the slight drop in voltage and has problems setting.

As I've said above, no optimate used since it's been on the bike and even when it's sat for up to three weeks unused it still fires up first time and stronger than it's predecessor.

Adam :)

Batteries

I have always bought Yaesu for replacement batteries,
I have not checked if they do one for the GS1150 series but if they do that would be my choice.
I sold a small Suzuki X5 to an acquaintance some 12 years ago, he only uses the little bike occasionally but the battery is still going strong despite much abuse and they are sealed so maintenance free.
Barrie.

Back
Top Bottom