Very odd battery problem

BigNige

Reaction score
My LT hasn't been used for a few months and the battery was flat as a pancake last night.

So I put it on the charger and this morning there was enough to fire it up...just.

Anyway, me & m00ey went out for a good long spin on it (couple of hours) and when we came back I tried the old "stop and see if it'll re-start" thing.

It wouldn't so I figured it wasn't holding a charge.

Alternator output is fine btw.

Anyway, I drove home and parked it up.

Went to put the bike in the garage a few mins ago and thought I'd see if it would start.

WHOOMP!

No probs. First spin and it fires up.
I did the same thing 3 times on the trot and the battery seems as if nothing's happened.

Thoughts?

A new battery is £70+ for this kiddie so if it's ok I don't want to spend if I don't have to.

How can I tell...for certain...what state the battery is in?
It's a sealed one btw so taking specific gravity isn't going to be easy.

Cheers.

:)

Take the battery to an auto electrician who will perform a 'drop test', and no you won't be needing to wear steel toe capped boots. It measures the voltage drop whilst under heavy load.

Batteries like to be used, both being charged and discharged, it helps keep the plates clean from sulpher build up I think.

Tim

Panzer Patrol said:
Temperature also plays a part. The residual heat from the bike standing may have helped.

That's a good point actually as it's a four on the side type engine, a lot of heat would've seeped up towards the battery which is under the riders seat and directly over the gearbox.

So there's a chance the battery isn't knackered then I guess.

Cool.

:)

Back
Top Bottom