condensation in oil

roly

after all the rain today +yesterday and previous few years, the oil in the window is gone milky , it done this last winter after all the cold water hitting the engine while riding. is this normal cause its impossible to keep changing the oil every time it rains or gets cold. cars have this problem all the time but you don't see it. thanks.

nope, all 20 miles at a time , only get it when it rains , cold water hitting block.mybe get a brolly .

20 miles is short -

As cookie says, or breather hose split ?

Four trips a day of 2 miles (one way), bike only gets to two bars, use mineral oil 15/50, change twice a year. Oil not as easy to get hold of like the more common one's but is better than a 15/40 mineral I used, that milked up.
Not sure if it's the difference between 40 and 50.
Give it a good blast at weekends, and have no problem at all.

roly said:
after all the rain today +yesterday and previous few years, the oil in the window is gone milky , it done this last winter after all the cold water hitting the engine while riding. is this normal cause its impossible to keep changing the oil every time it rains or gets cold. cars have this problem all the time but you don't see it. thanks.

Water hitting the outside of the engine should make no difference to your oil on the inside,as its not there long enough to change the temperature drasticaly. i would agree with the earlier post that you must be getting water leaking into the engine via an external leak, ie oil fill cap,breather pipe

:beer:

is the engine getting up to working temperature ?
the oil temp gauge should should stay at 4-5 bars, if it stays lower than this,
then the condensation will not burn off. :beer:

Thinking aloud here.......& not familiar with the engine design (as yet.)
Apart from the other excellent suggestions, would it be possible that the plastic engine cover is cracked or the seal is bad ??? Perfect site for water spraying off the front wheel ??
My first thought being that the engine/oil is not getting up to working temperature but that has been covered.

alimey4u2 said:
Thinking aloud here.......& not familiar with the engine design (as yet.)
Apart from the other excellent suggestions, would it be possible that the plastic engine cover is cracked or the seal is bad ??? Perfect site for water spraying off the front wheel ??
My first thought being that the engine/oil is not getting up to working temperature but that has been covered.

The plastic engine cover only covers the alternator and drive belt.

Gotta be either a) it is only used for short trips or b) the engine ain't getting to working temperature because of a faulty oil thermostat (i.e. open all the time).

lots of checks, not the money type

1. engine temp 4to 5 bars. :)
2.no splits in hoses. :eek:
3.no cracks in plastics. :thumb
4. after 20 miles one way its hot . :cool:
any other ideas? :eek

Once the oil has gone milky at some stage - it will contaminate any new oil added when you do an oil change .

if water were getting into the engine, then oil under pressure would definately be getting out .

More "thinking aloud " than an answer...

If water has got into the engine, presumably along with cold air drawn in via the breather as it cools down, will it dissipate again? It'll evaporate but still hang around inside the engine when hot, in the form of steam, so when things cool down again it'll just condense back into the engine....

I'd check that the breather pipe doesn't have anywhere to collect water near it, so it gets sucked back into the engine on cooling...

I'd consider running the engine till it gets hot then stopping and removing the oil filler plug to see if that releases any steam/gasses... (park with the oil filler "high" i.e on a slope)

Other than that the only solution is to heat your garage to ensure it dries out properly! :p

Dunno if that makes any sense or not really!

Back
Top Bottom