can anyone help with lowering my new R1150GS Adventure

booboo

hi guys & girls
can anyone help me with idears on how to lower my r1150gs adventure i need about 1 more inch 2 would be better.
i dont what to drop it :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
thanks

Lowering the ADV

Fit some shocks from a stock 1150GS or better still some Ohlins for a stock 1150GS-about £750.That'll lower it about 2",without altering the seat foam.

Sell it and buy the standard 1150GS you obviously should have bought in the first place.
:rolleyes:
Sometimes I really wonder...
:D

il swop u my shocks

ill give you my gs shocks for your adventure ones.. ;-)

btw, i put an adventure seat on my gs and found it raised the seat height considerably and im 6ft4..

change to gs seats, or even geta lowered adv seat,, tehrare three,, low normal and high,, i have the high one..

use the tool in the tool box to adjust the height of the shocks.. (see the steps thingy around the shock.. = height adjustment )

same for the back i think..

one more idea, get supermotad wheels!

regards

pthagonal

Pthag has suggested the solutuion I'd go for. I swapped the seat on my Adv for a std GS set up. This wasn't a height issue (I'm 6'6"!), but I found the new seat was a good 1" lower (even on the High setting).

In order to achieve this swap, advertise on this BB and find someone who has a std GS and wants to do the swap the other way (usually people who haven't ridden any distance with an Adv seat :D). The advantage of this method is that it's 'no cost'. it's a simple job which should take under an hour. Gauloises has also done this conversion, but bought all the bits, rather than swapping..... PM me if you want any further info on the job.

MikeO

Melvyn Hunter in Coventry will do a really nice job customising and sculpting your existing seat to make it lower and more comfortable (about £165).

You could buy an adjustable torque arm: lengthening it will slightly lengthen the bike but also drop its ride height.

Re: il swop u my shocks

Pthagonal said:
ill give you my gs shocks for your adventure ones.. ;-)

pthagonal

Given your mandarin thread, I thought that your response should have been widely predictable!

It's a good idea - I hope it works for both of you!

:)

Greg

Visit Burger King twice a day for a month..........that should do it !!:D

CC

coolcarbon said:
Visit Burger King twice a day for a month..........that should do it !!:D

CC

it would be cheaper to buy the bits.. lol

by the way,, boxer-design.de have an ajustable torque arm that might be handy,, 243 euros i think..

regards

pthag

Or you could change to alloys, this'll drop the front by an Inch :D

CC

Lowering an ADV

Boo Boo
Your welcome to try my old GS1150 shocks i'm in Bournemouth
also have an ADV low seat if you hav'nt got one already.
ohlins shocks for the 1150 actually raise the height by 1-2 inches
unless my side and center stands have shrunk :rolleyes:

Also got the old gs seats etc ,but you don't wanna go there as their pig ugly IMO

G

thanks guys

i have tryed the old gs seat it dont fit.
i have taking the front seat braket off and that has helped.and i have put on boots with a thicker sole that has helped as well.

I would like to no more about the ajustable torque arm like how much it cost whare i can get it. is it hard to fit like can i do it. how much lower it well make the gs . is it safe to change it.

i would like to say big thank you to all of you that has helped me.

as for me getting a smaller bike no way i saved up for 3 years to get my gs . and if i did get a smaller bike i would have not met you guys. :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug:

Booboo, the std GS seat will fit, but you have to swap the rack and mounts (don't worry, it's really simple, just a bit of spanner wielding :)). It's definitely the way I'd go in your situation. Be cautious about lengthening the torque arm, it will alter the way the bike handles and turns in, as it will change the wheelbase of the bike. This is fine, if that's what you want (let's face it, that's why people fit them!), but they are not primarily designed to give you more legroom. Probably best to speak to someone who's done this already. The exchange itself would be very straightforward.

MikeO:)

Mike O said:
Booboo, the std GS seat will fit, but you have to swap the rack and mounts (don't worry, it's really simple, just a bit of spanner wielding :)). It's definitely the way I'd go in your situation. Be cautious about lengthening the torque arm, it will alter the way the bike handles and turns in, as it will change the wheelbase of the bike. This is fine, if that's what you want (let's face it, that's why people fit them!), but they are not primarily designed to give you more legroom. Probably best to speak to someone who's done this already. The exchange itself would be very straightforward.

MikeO:)

Mike's right . . . most people use an adjustable torque arm to shorten the wheelbase (raising the ride height) and make the bike turn in quicker, but also making it "twitchier". Making the bike longer and lowering ride height presents fewer issues handling-wise - making the wheelbase longer makes the bike more stable without (in the case of the GS) diminshing its handling qualities too much. But, Mike's absolutely right when he says that people fit adjustable torque arms for reasons other than raising or lowering the ride height and there are better ways of doing this without resorting to a new torque arm.

Boo Boo
Just a thought.
I bought my ohlins off a chap who had another set of ohlins
lowered, re shimmed shorter springs or something.
His 1150 was lowered that much that the center and side stands had to be shortened.

G

Back
Top Bottom