Insurance in Serbia & Montenegro

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
I'm going to be riding the GS throught the following countries in May of this year

France
Belgium
Holland
Germany
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Hungary
Serbia and Montenegro
Bulgaria
Turkey
Croatia
Slovenia
Italy
Austria
Switzerland
Luxembourg

Having checked with my brokers (C Nash) they informed me that my current insurers will not cover me in Serbia and Montenegro, Bulgaria, Turkey and Croatia.

No problem says I, my insurance is up for renewall in May, who will insure me in all the countries I want to travel to?

C Nash came up with Norwich Union. Unfortunatley they will not insure me in Serbia and Montenegro and, according to C Nash, they have nobody on their books who will.

Does anybody know of companies that will cover me in all the above countries.
A vague memory says I could get temporary cover on the border - is that right or did I imagine it?
I'm sure I'm not the first person to ride a bike through Serbia!

Cheers
Andres

Outtomunch said:
I'm going to be riding the GS throught the following countries in May of this year

France
Belgium
Holland
Germany
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Hungary
Serbia and Montenegro
Bulgaria
Turkey
Croatia
Slovenia
Italy
Austria
Switzerland
Luxembourg

Having checked with my brokers (C Nash) they informed me that my current insurers will not cover me in Serbia and Montenegro, Bulgaria, Turkey and Croatia.

No problem says I, my insurance is up for renewall in May, who will insure me in all the countries I want to travel to?

C Nash came up with Norwich Union. Unfortunatley they will not insure me in Serbia and Montenegro and, according to C Nash, they have nobody on their books who will.

Does anybody know of companies that will cover me in all the above countries.
A vague memory says I could get temporary cover on the border - is that right or did I imagine it?
I'm sure I'm not the first person to ride a bike through Serbia!

Cheers
Andres

PM Micky from this site, he rode his Dakar through Serbia/Kosovo and Montenegro in Aug 2005 without drama

Me green card has them all written on it.

I hear UK people get very wierdo green card - accually it's WHITE for them, and differs much from the one we get here on un-byrocrated Europe. I hear many complainings, also travelled with Scottish chap once in Romania and Bulgaria - he also had problems with this "white" green card, but managed in the end after lot of negotiation with border guys :D And he sayed he had to bust his ass to get this even this "white" version of green cards from UK.

So make sure you get the right one!

My insurers told me I didn't need a greencard - Hah!

Got fleeced at the Serbian border for US$85 for temporary insurance. Total rip-off. You can only make the insurance at certain posts (not the 1st one I tried so huge detour in Bosnia).

My advice - get some green paper and make your own greencard with Serbia included. All they want is a green document with their country listed.

Montenegro is lovely but you can keep Serbia. Mind you, it was bloody freezing when we were there.

Look for Aberdeen - Kathmandu in the travellers section or PM me for info.

We just bought it at the borders, no probs. Some countries cheap, some expensive... so all equalls out in the long run. Came across a German who had made his own green card... looked very good. As he rode off I couldn't help smiling at the enormous grin he had on his face. Trouble is if it goes pear shaped and you have an accident... :eek:

So we just paid up at the borders and enjoyed the trip, knowing we may never pass that way again....

You can buy cover as you enter these countries but be under no illusion that you have insurance cover.
If you have an accident you are on your own, the guy in the portacabin at the border won't want to see you again.
As some one suggested make your own green card with S/M on it.
The green card is for the benefit of the police at a checkpoint.
If it's in English it is very unlightly that they will be able to read it, just make sure your dates are correct.
If you don't have it, the police will take the price of 3rd party policy from you and not issue a receipt either.
Watch your speed also, this is another good earner for the local plod.

Yeah, I got done for speeding in Croatia but the fine was open to negotiation. Same tactics as used here, dead clear road, going down hill, jumped out from behind some trees. On the plus side, he did let me know where the next speed trap was which is something you dont get here.

Thanks for all the speedy replies - some really useful stuff here for an E Europe virgin such as myself :thumb

Gavin, I'll give you a ring this evening if that's ok.

Cheers
Andres

Drove Sharan all the way down through Croatia and included a visit to Sarajevo. Had to buy insurance at the border with BiH and did so without any problems whatsoever. Inexpensive.

Check about which border crossing you'll be using as some crossing do not have the insurance facility available. Serbia may well charge more. Don't know.

Irritatingly, while we (from the UK) had to buy insurance cover at border, my brother (resident in Germany) had cover for both BiH and Serbia in his normal insurance.

I rode through Serbia and Montenegro last year, and as Chisurz says, both Serbia and Bosnia are covered in the normal German Insurers Green Card.

One bit of advice: Don't try what Dibbles suggested: "As some one suggested make your own green card with S/M on it. The green card is for the benefit of the police at a checkpoint. If it's in English it is very unlightly that they will be able to read it,..."

We crossed the border at Erdut. All of the Border Guards spoke good English, one of them fluently.

Just a warning!

Back
Top Bottom