quest memory

DrTooth

How much mapping will it hold (not in MB, in area!!).

I assume it will store all of the UK. If i go abroad, on a route from Holland, through Germany, to Dolomites then south of france + back to Holland through france (say 2500 miles) then i assume i just load my route in, but for people who have done big routes like this, how wide a 'corridor' of a route can you load. Is it just say 10miles each side, or can it cope with more than that.

Sorry, never used a quest, and am thinking of getting one or a quest 2. I dont have a laptop so all maps would need to be loaded in the UK before i left. I'm just basically wondering how much leeway on route alteration i would have with a quest 1.

thanks in advance

Hi

It differs a little with each version of mapsource. But with v8 (current), i can get the majority of france plus the border region of spain on.

The maps are in "blocks" and the corridor that you load is just the map blocks that you are driving through, whether through the middle of the block or just across a corner. You cant add sections of a map block (e.g. you get ALL of the North West coast of France, or none at all).

The easiest way to get a feel for it is to have a look at mapsource on someones pc. It allows you to select maps and shows the memory required. I would think that you'd be ok given your route, but you may half to pick and choose a little (for example, I'm not adding any of the UK for my trip as i reckon i can find my way down the A3 to portsmouth without a GPS)

jon

hmmm, maybe i will look at a quest 2 or 2610 with a big CF card instead, then if i decide to alter my plans i will always have the maps.

DrTooth said:
How much mapping will it hold (not in MB, in area!!).

I assume it will store all of the UK. If i go abroad, on a route from Holland, through Germany, to Dolomites then south of france + back to Holland through france (say 2500 miles) then i assume i just load my route in, but for people who have done big routes like this, how wide a 'corridor' of a route can you load. Is it just say 10miles each side, or can it cope with more than that.

Sorry, never used a quest, and am thinking of getting one or a quest 2. I dont have a laptop so all maps would need to be loaded in the UK before i left. I'm just basically wondering how much leeway on route alteration i would have with a quest 1.

thanks in advance

One thing to remember is that the quest 1 has a basemap and it is a routable basemap. As long as you are on relatively main roads, you don't need to download the detail.

For example, if you live in New York City and you are driving normal sized routes to Boston, then you could simply load the detail for NYC and for Boston. The quest can still route you from NYC to Boston using the basemap.

I find pretty much all "major roadways" are on the basemap. This includes the main roads in town (as opposed to what we 'mercuns call "highways", and the joy-mans call "autobahn").

I get the most fun by planning out my routes on the tiniest wiggliest roads available. These roads are most likely NOT on the basemap.

Just something to chew on.

- Sam

DrTooth said:
hmmm, maybe i will look at a quest 2 or 2610 with a big CF card instead, then if i decide to alter my plans i will always have the maps.
This what I would suggest. It means that you should buy a GPS that suits your needs! :type

Quest map size and routing on the basemap....

I managed to get the whole on Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway on to my Quest with N8 :) .... but the trick is to really focus on the areas that you actually need and 'corridor' the route that you are going to follow as mentioned above.

.... and then I forgot to reload the UK maps when I went to Norwich last week ... and although it does route along the basemap I found that there were quite a few 'off-route recalculating' notices coming up even if I was going straight along a major road.

No real problems - tho' as the GPS should always be considered a helpful aid to a proper map etc.
I believe tho' that if your are going to need to reload maps - say your off on real long trip :thumb then the options are:

1) Carry a laptop ... also useful for uploading piccies, e-mail, and mapsource ... but liable to be nicked/broken by all the vibration...
2) Carry the CDs and licences and temporarily install on a PC along the route .... and worry about security etc - how big is the install from the dvd - will it fit on a small memory stick?
3) Use one of the cheap no frill airlines and pop-back to the UK for a couple of days to download maps .. or I guess fedex it back to someone friendly to do it for you...

... or just buy a second unit, if you can find one at a reasonable price.

JT

Ok - I'm a techie.... I think if i needed to re-install the maps I would: buy a 2.5'' USB2 hard drives (fits in the pocket! - probably UKP50-60) install both an OS and mapsource .. and use a PC on route as a chassis ... setting it too boot directly from the USB port (not forgetting a second USB cable to download to the Quest). I'd also probably double up with a second USB hard drive and a second Quest - just in case one fails...this would be lighter than carting around a laptop ... tho' a bit restrictive... total cost around the 500 mark - if you can find any more Quest 1's at 199ish.

... nah - having said that - it I was Europe/USA - I think I'd cart around a cheap laptop - further afield the USB route .. or both.

Back
Top Bottom