got new GS!!!! best insurance?

Sergeant Pluck

Reaction score
DONE IT!!!!

pick up a immac. white and blue 01 GS first thing saturday morning. oh god how can i possibly wait?!

the best quote i've had for insurance so far is from spc in alton - anybody had cheaper quotes elsewhere?

also, thanks for all the help and tips i've picked up directly and indirectly off this site.

pr0ne

pr0ne said:
the best quote i've had for insurance so far is from spc in alton - anybody had cheaper quotes elsewhere?

Dunno . . . depends on what the quote was, doesn't it?
:)

Have you asked your dealer for a quote? BMW Insurance is the cheapest I've ever come across.
Also, ask your dealer about 'shortfall insurance' - basically covers the bike for additional 3yrs if it's stolen or written off - means you get all your dosh back!
Worked for me back in 2000!

Pr*ne,

I'm assuming that your SPC quote was from BMW Insurance? If so, they were the cheapest by a long way (about 40%) in my experience.

I had the misfortune to have to use their claims service last December and they settled promptly and without fuss. Just be sure to keep them informed of ALL mods you do to the bike (they are particularly sensitive to performance enhancing bits - don't even think about putting on a race can). They also have some restrictions on European travel (I don't think you can get cover in the former Warsaw Pact states, although this may have changed).

MikeO:)

The Mrs has just had her renewal for her GS 11 £89 full comp. She is 41 though so over the hill as far as insurance companies are concerned. Mine was about £160 last year fully comp. Both are through BMW's own scheme which will be pretty hard to beat.

Pr0ne,
I found SPC/BMW insurance was the cheapest when I initially got my 650 as I came back to biking after a layoff and I got 2yrs no claims f.o.c, however this year I got it £50 cheaper with breakdown cover included, which isn't on the BMW policy.
Check what you get with each quote - you get what you pay for;
Free green card or £20 a go?
Breakdown for UK & Europe?
Legal assistance
Loan bike
etc etc etc

I've insured the GS with Carol Nash for the last few years

Mainly because the policy includes European breakdown cover and £1000 cover for clothing http://www.carolenash.com/

Coming fairly close each year has been Hastings Direct, but their policy only gives UK Green Flag cover
http://www.hastingsdirect.co.uk/

Not had to make a claim so I cannot say how well they handle claims.

thanks for the gen, peoples. yes, the BM insurance is 'much' cheaper than anywhere else (more than half the cost of some quotes) -- so i reckon i'll get stuck in with them, then.

pr0ne

it's infuriating - i'm going to have to pay 750 green ones for fully comp.... ok so it's a london bike, but clean license, etc etc. no no-claims though as my current r100/7 qualifies for classic insurance on which you can't accrue a no-claims. nightmare. 750 quid!!!!

pr0ne

AndyT said:
I found Carole Nash the Cheapest at £138 fully comp including European breakdown but had to drop them as they wouldn't insure a Harley as well.

AndyT

Haha. I'm glad to see Mrs Nash has standards.

Did you try the NFU? They gave me a good quote on the Massey Ferguson.

:p

wessie said:
Haha. I'm glad to see Mrs Nash has standards.

Did you try the NFU? They gave me a good quote on the Massey Ferguson.

:p
That was below the belt.....I mean hitting a man when he's down....£500 down,,,,,,,,

HAve Fun

AndyT:cool:

Back
Top Bottom